rleffler

Well Known Member
The family just returned from my son's F-16 B Course graduation. My son, daughter-in-law, wife, and daughter on the F-16 ramp.

hat1s.jpg

hat2s.JPG

Getting a tour of the cockpit.
hat3s.jpg

Outstanding!

You must be one proud father and you should be! Congratulations!

I almost think your son is the last of the last. The technology evolution continues at an amazing pace and I bet it won't be long until fighter pilots are a thing of the past.

Very cool

Awesome pictures and it is awesome to have a son that is doing honorable things with his life. ....Awesome....:)

You must be one proud father and you should be! Congratulations!

I almost think your son is the last of the last. The technology evolution continues at an amazing pace and I bet it won't be long until fighter pilots are a thing of the past.

While I hate to admit it I do think the numbers of manned fighter cockpits will dwindle, perhaps dramatically, but I don't think we'll completely eliminate a real live pilot in the seat.

Rleffler, congratulations to your son and his class of the Air Force's newest Viper drivers! Now for a good assignment Aviano v. Kunsan... :D

While I hate to admit it I do think the numbers of manned fighter cockpits will dwindle, perhaps dramatically, but I don't think we'll completely eliminate a real live pilot in the seat.

Rleffler, congratulations to your son and his class of the Air Force's newest Viper drivers! Now for a good assignment Aviano v. Kunsan... :D

I have to agree with Stitch, while technology certainly allows it, I don't think I'll see unmanned fighters in my lifetime.

He's heading to Kunsan. Most of his class is heading to Kunsan or Osan.

He's heading to Kunsan. Most of his class is heading to Kunsan or Osan.

The Kun? Really? Ugh! :D He'll do OK, I spent two years there 1983-84 with then brand new Block 15 "A" model Vipers and again in 92-93 with Block 32s. Being away from family wasn't fun, but professionally, it was a great part of my 24 year careeer. Juvat!

Bob===congrats you you and your son for a major accomplishment. Thank him for his service. I think he should have done the "Iron Eagle" Movie thing and given you a ride in the 16!:eek:
Tom

OSH 2010?

Do I remember him from OSH 2010? We camped next to each other in Scholler and you had a couple of you kids with you then. Congratulations!

Do I remember him from OSH 2010? We camped next to each other in Scholler and you had a couple of you kids with you then. Congratulations!

Perhaps...... Brad was at Oshkosh every year until he went active duty. He actually spent his honeymoon at OSH. It's a long story that I won't go into here. There was two years in which both of them were there.

Bob===congrats you you and your son for a major accomplishment. Thank him for his service. I think he should have done the "Iron Eagle" Movie thing and given you a ride in the 16!:eek:
Tom

All the two seaters are grounded at the moment due to a longeron problem. And there is clearly no room to put two in a single seater. I did get some time in the sim. Shot down a couple Migs and flew throught the Grand Canyon.

Last edited:
That's my old squadron at Luke AFB! I was an instructor in the 308FS ten years ago. I really enjoyed teaching enthusiastic Lieutenants in the F-16. It's amazing to see how they transform into world class fighter pilots after many months of hard work. Congratulations to your son! He'll have a great time at Kunsan. That's the best place for a new guy to go right out of the B Course (it was my first assignment too in the 90s flying the big mouth Block 32.)