rvmills

Well Known Member
I thought Memorial Day Weekend would be an appropriate time to post a couple of VAF hat sightings from our recent trip to Hawaii for a military exercise I participated in, as part of my Navy Reserve duties. Took a break from watch and brought my family to visit the USS Missouri (BB-63), then returned later in the trip to visit the Arizona Memorial. "Big Mo" was impressive, to say the least, and provided the boys with some great exploring.

The visit to the Arizona Memorial was one of the most deeply moving moments I've ever had. I'm sure many of you have been there, and have experienced the same feelings as we did. Holding back tears turned out not to be an option. In many ways, the experience had parallels to our visit to Ground Zero at the WTC, where a squadron buddy lost his life (Tom "Stout" McGuinness, the FO on AA11, a great man and one heck of a Tomcat driver). I came away with an even greater respect and appreciation of what our parents and grandparents lived through, and for the fight they brought to bear afterwards. If you get to Hawaii, I can't recommend this vist enough!

I know many of you lost friends and countrymen on September 11th, and many have lost comrades or family at Pearl Harbor, or in the fights for freedom, then, now and in between. So this post is meant as a salute to fallen heroes, past and present, and to those that serve today.

I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend, enjoy time with family and friends, and if you have the chance...maybe an aileron roll or two in honor of our brothers and sisters in arms...and in harms way, past and present, would be a great way to honor them!

All the Best,

Bob Mills
CAPT USN
CAPT SWA
"Rocket" RV-6
N600SS
4SD

Here are the pics:

First, aboard Big MO

vafbigmo2ar2.jpg

Next, across the waterway from the Arizona Memorial and Big MO

vafazmovg9.jpg

And one of the Arizona Memorial...Let Freedom Ring!

vafazmemlh5.jpg