Apexeon

Well my 6 project is flying after a rebuild of the O-360 engine. 15 hours and the engine is breaking in nicely. We cleaned the vacuum pump and it worked OK for about 10 hours. The vac started going down to about 2 at cruise and on last flight finally quit altogether. My panel is traditional 6 pack and both AI and DG are making noise. I suspect both need OH. At this point I'm thinking of scraping the entire system and installing a dynon D6, D10 or may just put in a D1. I would really appreciate the thoughts of others.

Thanks!!!
Don

Dump the vacuum pump and put in a standby alternator, and go all-electric!

I have been very happy with the Trutrak Gemini ADI as a horizon/DG replacement. Cheaper than the D1 and doesn't look like an afterthought.

Well my 6 project is flying after a rebuild of the O-360 engine. 15 hours and the engine is breaking in nicely. We cleaned the vacuum pump and it worked OK for about 10 hours. The vac started going down to about 2 at cruise and on last flight finally quit altogether. My panel is traditional 6 pack and both AI and DG are making noise. I suspect both need OH. At this point I'm thinking of scraping the entire system and installing a dynon D6, D10 or may just put in a D1. I would really appreciate the thoughts of others.

Thanks!!!
Don

Don, I think you (and your dead vacuum system) have answered your question. It was just a matter of time. :)

There are several good options for replacing the vacuum devices. The D6 will provide the "basic vacuum" info or a D10/magnetometer will do the same and much more (TAS, DA, winds, accurate heading). Whatever you choose you will quickly adapt....and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :)

Add a couple of servos to the D10 and you have a very capable autopilot.

Last edited:
If on a budget, order the Grand Rapids Mini. It will replace everything in the six pack. Sell the leftovers to a Cessna driver on Barnstormers. You will come out ahead...

...We cleaned the vacuum pump and it worked OK for about 10 hours. The vac started going down to about 2 at cruise and on last flight finally quit altogether....both AI and DG are making noise....

Sure does sound like you could have pump and / or instrument problems - it could be quite a chase to get them all working as they should.

I have a friend with a 7 who has had very good results with Dynon - I have had very good support and results with TruTrak. Tough choice - both are excellent.

For the longest time we ran vac AI / DG and electric TB (or TC) for IFR redundancy in certified aircraft. These days, you can get a pretty good AHRS backup on the iPad (with the new Stratus - I'm sure competitor products also work well). I've flown my 7A with the Stratus display to see if there was a reasonable shot at getting out of the clag with just that - and, frankly, it works pretty well. So, the redundancy issue is gone in my mind, and the simplest resolution for you might well be the Dynon / TruTrack solution. It's probably what I'd do.

Dan

Vacuum pumps are designed to fail so why use one when there are so many electronic solutions out there. Three vacuum pump failures within a five year period (club airplanes) with the last one occuring on a climbing turn missed approach convinced me a long time ago that I will never install one of these dangerous instruments in my own plane.

I've got a new overhaul 211CC (I think it is) with about 10 hours on it. I'll give you a good price :)

Update

First of all, thanks to all of you who offered a suggestion. After taking the old pump apart we found that the vanes were all gummed up. We think that some solvent (mineral spirits) found its way into the pump during an engine cleaning after the first oil change. After cleaning and drying out the pump and adjusting the regulator, everything is back to normal.

At this point I'm going to stick with the old vacuum system until there is another major problem. Since I just spent $$$ on an engine overhaul, I just can't justify pulling a working system just for the sake of change. Thanks also to those of you who made suggestions of other units besides Dynon. I will look at all options when the time comes.

dt