rwarre

Well Known Member
I am trying to decide whether or not to install a vacuum system for a backup attitude gyro. I have read several of the threads on the pros and cons of going electric or vacuum. I think it would be more time consuming. involve more decisions(where to put what) and just as expensive to do a vacuum system. I thought my engine already had a vacuum pump, but it does not. Now I am leaning toward the tru-trak indicator. Any suggestions/comments.

On that same pad that the Vacuum pump goes, you can put a standby alternator. With the vacuum system you have to maintain the pump, the filter, the regulator and the gyro. There are many threads on ideas
for backups. In my case, I have an efis with a battery backup. If it quits, I have a TruTrack Pictorial pilot (turn coordinator A/P) to keep the wings level along with Round Airspeed and Altimeter (when is the last time you practiced needle ball and airspeed in an RV?). Then there is also the panel page on the 496. In my mind, the Trutrak is my ultimate back up....as long as the juice doesn't run out.

I have a vacuum system as primary

I have a vacuum system as the primary system for attitude and DG. I fly IFR in IMC with my RV-6A. I don't like it at all but it does work. I almost have to kick myself to reset the DG the drift is so bad - thank God for the wet compass. The pictorial pilot is worthless for directional information if the turn rate is anything above mild corrections - if I go into a turn with the autopilot disengaged the direction display goes blank until I settle down in a somewhat steady heading (not something that is easy to do with a failed vacuum system). I guess I'm in a similar situation to you in that I have used vacuum systems for a long time I hate them and if I ever redue the panel in order to fly GPS approaches no vacuum system will ever find its way back into my plane - I will have functional redundancy but it will not depend on one of them little suckers. Posting rule prohibit me from telling how I really feel.

Bob Axsom

I like the idea of having a vacuum secondary system.

With the "reliability" of vacuum systems, your backup will fail four or five times (just guessing!) before you see a hiccup in a digital attitude system. The problem is, the pump will be turning - and wearing out - all the time. Better to buy two electronic systems (preferably dissimilar), and power them separately (as described above).

Vacuum systems were all we used to have, and I flew my share of IFR with them, but I hope I never do so again!

Paul

Vacuum systems, gascolators, magnetos, carburetors, magnetic compases and mechanical gyros are all relics of a bygone era and thankfully none are used in my RV. (No appoligies to those who may differ!) A well-designed electrical system provides all the redundancy you will ever need.

Vacuum sucks!

Vacuum sucks! (pun intended :rolleyes:)

For an IFR airplane, a second independent electrical system powering a second EFIS would be a better way to go than a vacuum system and gyro. Far more reliable, and probably also cheaper in the longer run.

Vacuum sucks..only part of the time

I have the same setup as Tom..I have a completely electrically dependant airplane (including EI's and fuel pumps) that I fly IMC.

I don't agree with Bob..the Pictorial pilot is a GREAT T&B indicator..sure the direction indicator goes blank but then we should be sacnning several instruments anyway.

In this case I have a battery backed up Dynon that gives me my heading info and the PP gives me the bank..(seems to be limited to about 2/3rds standard rate in autopilot mode).

Thats how I practice all my IMC flying by hand..I use the PP for bank and the Dynon for everything else..Keeps me scanning instruments.

I think I saw a vacuum pump once..in the trash can where it belongs in my everso humble opinion..:)

Cheers

Frank

So much for back up systems. If the power goes out, what happened to the radio, vor, and adf? I guess they are out too. My design will be redundant power source and redundant efis/gps systems.

So much for back up systems. If the power goes out, what happened to the radio, vor, and adf? I guess they are out too. My design will be redundant power source and redundant efis/gps systems.

I carry a ICOM hand held in my flight bag.

The beauty of building your own plane....

Is you can do whatever you want. Weight out the pros and cons, look at the cost and there you go, your solution :0)

I carry a ICOM hand held in my flight bag.

I don't know about others, but when I tried my hand-held, the engine was just too noisy to hear anything when I removed my ANR headset. You'd need a headset adapter, and then a battery system to power that.........I suppose.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Redundant

2 panel mounted radios and redundant alternator. The Transponder nor the GPS is backed up however.

I guess having them both fail at the same time in IMC is probably an indication I should take up a different hobby..:)

Frank

Our twin went through dry vacuum pumps every 150 - 350 hrs. Never again, especially in a single engine. For my -7a, I installed a backup B&C alternator, which powers everything, up to 20 amps. I wish I'd installed a small backup battery, so that I wouldn't dump my EFIS on engine cranking as the voltage drops off. My "backup flight instruments" are a Dynon D10A - - which includes it's own backup battery, in case of total electrical shutdown. It also looks good with the rectangular EFIS screens. Installing a vacuum system as a backup when such superior and more reliable capability exists doesn't make sense.