miyu1975

Well Known Member
Just got my v6 hooked up today. I pulled my rv out of the hangar to test the comm. I tuned in the awos to test, I could hear the awos but there was a pretty good static too. No one was flying so the Unicom was quite. I have whip antenna on the bottom. Is the static normal, hope not...what do I need to adjust? Also. I did not have anything else on except theefis, skyview. The v6 ground is connected to one of the sky view grounds.

Constant background static? Squelch up. Static only during trans receive? Antenna? Engine off?

comm static

I'm not one of those electronics guru's, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. However, this is my experience.
I have the Skyview in my RV-4 and I had an ICOM 210 which gave me a lot of static. I tried everything I could think of including re-wiring with shielded wire and I even tried using lead tape to go over the power leads. I replaced the antenna lead as well. I used a handheld, set the squelch, and moved it all around behind the panel and noticed the Skyview seemed to be giving off some noise. Finally I changed out the radio - first with an ICOM -200 (goes into the same tray) and that took care of it. However, new 200 are not being sold, so I purchased an SL-40 which also worked. Seems the SL-40 has an automatic squelch and it changes as needed.

The perplexing thing is that I know someone that built an RV-10 with two Skyviews and two ICOM-210's and his works great. Go figure. Bottom line, it may be your radio. Dynon assures me that all their stuff not only meets requirements but is also tested by the same place as Boing test their stuff. I must say, that Dynon was great. I thought it was their issue and they exchanged with me. Although it did help some, going to the SL-40 helped the most.