the4ork

i was checking out the sonex website today...

it would be pretty cool to have this tail on a -4

waiex_HI4T0747.jpg

That V-Tail configuration may yield higher cruise numbers, but if that would make the -4 wallow in turbulence like the Bonanza, I think that mod would constitute a major step backwards. That's my subjective opinion.

That V-Tail configuration may yield higher cruise numbers, but if that would make the -4 wallow in turbulence like the Bonanza, I think that mod would constitute a major step backwards. That's my subjective opinion.

As the owner of both an RV9A and a K35 vtail, I don't believe there is much difference between the two as far as wallowing goes in turbulence. They both do it, and paying attention with active feet stops it. I think in both instances, it has more to do with the short length of the airplane, than it does with the shape of the tail feathers.

First, it's not a V-tail. Look closely and you'll see that it has a rudder. That makes it a Y-tail. I've flown both the Waiex and Xenos, and without a rear view mirror you wouldn't know the empennage configuration based on handling. The RV-3 will bounce the ball off the stops in turbulence.

Tony

Ah, Y-Tailed. That has fly differently than a V-tail, at least to some degree.

I missed that detail, thanks.

Wallowing

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the V tail Bonanza wallowing was actually more due to the design of the wing than the V tail. Supposedly the straight tail Bonanza's have some of the same issue with the same wing. I own and fly a J-35 and have loved the yaw damper I installed with my S-Tec autopilot.
Not planning on a yaw damper in the RV-10.