hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Preface: my '496 supplies serial data to my GRT. It also supplies the same data directly to the TruTrack AP if the selector switch is set that way. If it's set the other way, the AP gets its data from the GRT. I did this for backup & redundancy.

I wired the XRX to send serial data to both the '496 and the GRT at the same time so that both screens will show traffic alerts. In addition, the two GRT screens are connected by a serial connection so the traffic shows on either/both of them.

After a number of attempts, following revised advice from GRT, I set the "profile" of the XRX to "garmin". This is 9600 baud. The '496 interface must be set to the only option that provides for "TIS in" and that is also automatically at 9600. The GRT must then be set to accept 9600 from the '496. Since I have the AP set to received data from either source, the AP must also be set to accept 9600 and the GRT to send it. The GRT must be set to receive TIS, too (not Zaon although that is available).

It seems complicated when you have to find open "ports" on the GRT at the right baud rates, but the set up is actually pretty straight forward when it's done.

The good news is that it works. I finished testing today including shooting ILS approaches under GRT control with GPS 496 supplying enroute guidance to the FAF.

And, of course, the traffic reporting is nice to have!

Hi,
I know this post is a bit old, but I found it while doing a search and had one question:
Did GRT ever fix the problem it had with the Garmin sending the VHF data (TIS in/NMEA & VHF out setting) along with the GPS position data?
I haven't tried that setting lately but as I recall the GRT would pay attention to the GPS data from the Garmin for a short while but would stop listening within a minute or two.
Thanks,

Dan

It Works

As far as I can tell, it works OK. I have the XRX sending data to both the '496 and the GRT and they seem to me to be telling me the same thing when there is traffic.

Preference as to which display?

As far as I can tell, it works OK. I have the XRX sending data to both the '496 and the GRT and they seem to me to be telling me the same thing when there is traffic.

hevansrv7a,
Do you have a preference as to which display you use, the 496 or GRT? I just hooked mine up to my AFS 3500 a few days ago and it works fine on my big map but I'm curious if you see any operational advantage in also hooking it up to the 496? Would you bother if you had to do it over?.

Yes I would

hevansrv7a,
Do you have a preference as to which display you use, the 496 or GRT? I just hooked mine up to my AFS 3500 a few days ago and it works fine on my big map but I'm curious if you see any operational advantage in also hooking it up to the 496? Would you bother if you had to do it over?.

I would still do it that way because
  1. It's just one more little wire - easy to do.
  2. The GPS is almost always showing look-down view but GRT#2 might be on Engine.
  3. Redundancy if GRT #2 not working.
  4. They both show pop-up when traffic gets close.
  5. GRT is much better for spotting traffic because there is so little else on the screen and the screen is much bigger.