Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
There is nothing like a long cross-country (especially a long cross-country in good weather with the autopilot on) to help a pilot understand a new piece of avionics, and a recent flight out to Southern California from Houston and back gave me a chance to really get to know my 696 better. While I have been flying it for several months, and given Garmin a fair amount of feedback, this was mostly for local flights, within an our or two of home, and I hadn't really settled in to it for a long trip. Some features, such as flight plan revisions and long-term weather observation just need a full day to evaluate, and this trip gave me a chance.

The first thing I really got to appreciate was the impact of the big screen versus the "now) small screen on the older x96 models. I always thought those units were the cat's meow, but now I am truly spoiled! Being able to bring up half the country on a screen that is big enough for you to see it all at once really helps give one the "big picture" at a glance. Speaking of weather, I found that I like the knob/joystick user interface more every time I use it. While I still wish that navigation boxes had alphanumeric keyboards for data entry, the knob/joystick admittedly is a quick way to scroll around and move through menus. The top level "menu" on the 696 is accessed by twisting the knob, and goes between the major modes - Map, Waypoint, Weather, Terrain, XM, and Info. I find that I rarely look at the Terrain stuff, as I have very good info on that on my EFIS, but switching quickly between Map and Wx is a real benefit. On the east-bound flight, we were watching the weather in Houston (our destination) carefully, as it was low IFR when we started the day, with forecasts for improvement by the time we arrives. It was interesting to scroll over to Texas every once in awhile to see the clearing line move across the hill country and the coastal plain, and doing so required very little effort, since there is a hot-key on the Wx page that activates the "pan" function of the joystick. Very quick and intuitive.

The other feature that I got to use a lot was the flight plan function. A single button push splits the screen, with a map at the bottom, and the active flight plan displayed in tabular format at the top. You can edit the plan either on the text portion, with the traditional Garmin knob/button actions, or by "grabbing and rubber-banding" the line on the map down below. If you start with a departure point and destination on the table, you can insert waypoints completely with the GUI - very fast. For this flight, I started out wit a plan that went 7XS0 - KCLL - TA50 - SSN - KCGZ - VICKO - BLH - L35. (Basically, we were leaving our home airpark, stopping at College Station for a brunch, then heading out to the El Paso area for fuel at an airpark. Leaving there, I went direct to SSN VOR to avoid some high terrain before a potential fuel stop at Casa Grande, then on to VICKO intersection ad Blythe to stay out of restricted areas before going direct to Big Bear Lake.) I keyed this in to the 696 manually, and saved it before the flight as a baseline. Once we got underway, the fuel looked good for the trip to El Paso, so we flew it just as planned, but as we left there, it was apparent on the EFIS (by the time that we got to SSN) that we also had plenty of gas from that point to make our destination without refueling at KCGZ. I still wanted to avoid the restricted areas of course, so I simply punched the Flight Plan button to bring up the waypoint list, used the joystick to cursor down to CGZ, and deleted it. I then went to the lower (map) part of that page, punched the "Use Map" hot key, grabbed the course line and dragged it to the Stansfield VOR, punched "Enter", and it was a new waypoint. Very simple, and it gave me a very clear view of the overall plan as I wanted to fly it. I then updated the 430 (which drives the autopilot through the EFIS) to the plan I had laid out on the 696. Yes, I really wish I could transfer the plan in to the 430 electronically, but that apparently is still not allowed?..I might just add a switch to the EFIS so I can select one or the other when I want.

The return trip was similar. I started with the saved plan, brought it up, and inverted it. I then decided that since my Airnav printout said that the fuel was really cheap in KCGZ and Llano, TX (where it turned out to be $3.00/gallon!), we'd stop short at KCGZ, then go all the way to Llano. Since we were up higher for winds on the return, the high terrain in eastern Arizona was not an issue, so I quickly deleted the SSN and TA50 waypoints, and inserted Llano. I briefly considered Sonora as a stop instead of Llano, but rubber-banding the course line showed that was more out of the way (and the fuel was costlier as well), so I firmed up the plan, and off we went. Basically, I found the flight planning functions to be just about as useful as the various tools I use on the PC at home. For a side trip down to San Diego, I didn?t' have a computer handy at all, but wanted to make sure I stayed clear of terrain and airspace boundaries, so I just put in the origin and destination, then dragged the course line around, creating temporary user waypoints where there were no other landmarks such as intersections). This worked out great, especially on the return flight in the dark - I just followed the lines. (Oh yeah, and the "breadcrumb" trail works great when you want to backtrack something that worked perfectly on the way out as well?)

The other function that got more use than usual was the Waypoint page. It is very easy to dial up any airport or Navaid, and find the frequencies, altitude, runway information, etc. Not only is the basic chart data there, but with a push of a hot button, you can bring up the AOPA guide, with all sorts of information such as phone numbers. While on the ground at Casa Grande, I decided to check on the fuel price at Kestrel airpark in the Hill country, but didn't have the phone number. I brought up the 696, dialed in "1T7", brought up the AOPA guide, and there was the FBO phone number (Unfortunately, they were stuck with a high-priced load of fuel?.). Again - very quick and easy. Approach plates, SIDS and STARS - all are available in the same way, but I really didn?t' use them this flight because the weather was nice. But the user interface for frequency finding is quicker and more intuitive than on the 430, and it is great to have when flying in strange, busy airspace.

I'm sure that I'll find more features on future trips, but these were the things I concentrated on for this week. The 696 is certainly a luxury item - you can live without it - but I can tell you that when I went back to use the 396 a couple of weeks ago in the other plane, it really seemed small and sort of outdated. Or maybe it was just that I was quickly forgetting how to use it?..

Paul

exchanging info with the 430

Paul - I know you could exchange info between the 430/530 and the 496. Is that not the case with the 696, or do you just not have it hooked up?

I'm in panel planning stage now, and I'm looking at a 430/696 combo, but I really don't want to be putting changes in twice!

Thanks,

Paul - I know you could exchange info between the 430/530 and the 496. Is that not the case with the 696, or do you just not have it hooked up?

I'm in panel planning stage now, and I'm looking at a 430/696 combo, but I really don't want to be putting changes in twice!

Thanks,

In the other thread on the 696, someone brought up the point that the 430 will send data OUT to another unit, but wont take it IN from a non-certified unit, which makes sense if you want to maintain the "certification integrity" of the system. So you can send the flight plan TO the 696, but what I'd like to do is send it TO the 430....

Paul

Garmin vs. Garmin

Paul, like many others, I'm in the nth iteration of my panel & avionics planning, and certainly appreciate your writeups. However, I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how the 696 can really "earn it's keep", when one already has a 430 and moving map and XM weather playing on a high-res EFIS system. :confused: Please discuss the "division of labor" between the two. And starting from scratch, would you buy the same combination of boxes again? Thanks.

Stop it, just stop it!!!!

Paul,

You have got to stop posting how wonderful that 696 is! You could force a poor guy like me to rip apart his panel, spend loads of cash (he doesn't have with the new kid and all), and countless hours redoing his panel! ;)

Amen.... The ink was not dry on my panel layout then this thing came along and after I stopped drooling, I had to print another layout....

Paul,

You have got to stop posting how wonderful that 696 is! You could force a poor guy like me to rip apart his panel, spend loads of cash (he doesn't have with the new kid and all), and countless hours redoing his panel! ;)

Paul, like many others, I'm in the nth iteration of my panel & avionics planning, and certainly appreciate your writeups. However, I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how the 696 can really "earn it's keep", when one already has a 430 and moving map and XM weather playing on a high-res EFIS system. :confused: Please discuss the "division of labor" between the two. And starting from scratch, would you buy the same combination of boxes again? Thanks.

OK, very good questions. Sorry to make guy's lives hard - I just play with the toys as I get them. Remember - you don't NEED any of this stuff to fly!

The bottom line is that the user interface and features of the 696 (as a moving map, weather source, reference device) is probably an order of magnitude better than a 430. The only problem, of course, is that it is not IFR certified, so if you need an IFR box, you're going to have to do something other than a 696 as well. Now, let's say that you spring for an IFR box - is the 696 necessary?

Well....do you want an Electronic Flight Bag? As others have mentioned, there are other ways to get it - heck, I have used a Sony ready and free charts for about a year, and while it works, I haven't actually had to fly that much IFR, and if I was going into different fields, rapidly changing approaches, etc, it would be on the very low end of "marginal". The charts and overall integration as an EFB with the 696 are pretty good. Again - do you need it? That's between you and your CFO....

If you're VFR only? Hmmm....+3K is a lot of money to spend - so you simply have to ask yourself what you can afford. You could have a very comfortable VFR cockpit with a Comm radio, a transponder, and a 696 - I wouldn't even bother with VHF Nav if I was VFR only these days.

I guess that you have noticed that I rarely get rid of something I already have when I add something new, so I am a bad person to ask about minimalism. If you already have your panel planned out, and it fits your requirements, then why do you need anything else? yes, the 696 is far superior to most of the stuff I have seen to date. But this is like buying any computer - by the time you get it installed and operating, something better is bound to come along. I personally go about five years between computers - pretty much when the software I need will no longer run on an old machine, or the thing goes up in smoke.

I obviously can't answer your questions for YOU, but I hope that some of these musings will at least be useful. Sooner or later, you have to pull the trigger and buy stuff. What makes that easier in a changing technology world is to have a very clear set of your requirements - not the equipment you want, the actual functionality that you want - and then buy against it when you are ready to order. At least, that is what works for me....

Paul

...If you're VFR only? ... You could have a very comfortable VFR cockpit with a Comm radio, a transponder, and a 696 - I wouldn't even bother with VHF Nav if I was VFR only these days...
Very good point.

I'm VFR only and my only electronic navigation tool is my 496 GPS. (I say only because I still have a compass and chart.)

The accuracy and dependability of these GPS's is just outstanding and I have never wished I had a VOR.

Should I ever elect to upgrade the plane to IFR, I will install 430W and audio panel and call it a day.