attackpilot

I guess I am full of questions tonight since it is cold and rainy and I don't feel like getting in that in my one-car carport to pound some rivets.

I vaguely remember that several RV builders have used screws to attach some or all of the floorpans in the cockpit area. I am wondering if this affects the structural integrity in any way. It makes sense to me to attach them this way in order to get to antennae and other items for maintenance, but I wonder if it affects the box structures that are created when the floorpans are attached.

Thanks again.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailkit
AH-64D Instructor

Not sure why you would want to put (sheet metal) screws here. Better approach would be to use nut plates that you've run a tap thru. This will take out the prevailing torque feature of the plate and allow free running/easy use of machine screws.

Not Sheet Metal Screws

Terry:

I wasn't planning on using sheet metal screws. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do. If it takes nutplates to do a proper job, then that is what I will do.

More of a concern is how using nutplates will affect the structural integrity/rigidity. I have a QB Fuselage and have to remove all the blind rivets to get to that area anyway, but I want to consider future maintenance issues.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailkit

I think the question has been posed of Van's from time to time and I think the answer has come back that there is no structural loss of integrity here.

I put screws on the floor AND the baggage compartment. I'm glad I did (though I recommend if you do this, get yourself a nutplate jig to make the process easier).

And, sure, it's true you can always drill out pop rivets if you want to get under there for inspection etc., but I hate drilling out pop rivets. What can I say?

Originally I put the screws in the baggage area so that I could add the steps on my 7A to the annual inspection and it just seemed easier to me to be able to do it that way.

If you follow the RV Builder's Hotline, you know that I messed up the edge distance on my rear spar doubler when mating the wings. I've replaced that now (see article in last week's issue), but now I want to replace the fuselage "clevis" too (the edge distance is fine on it, but it has a hole drilled it in nonetheless and I figure if I'm going to start fresh, I might as well start fresh).

Not having to drill out all the pop rivets to get access to it will be one less thing to do, although I wish I didn't have to take off the flap control rods to get access to it.

Apples and Oranges?

attackpilot said:
......I vaguely remember that several RV builders have used screws to attach some or all of the floorpans in the cockpit area..... I am wondering if this affects the structural integrity in any way........I wonder if it affects the box structures that are created when the floorpans are attached.
I installed 8-32 screws and nutplates on all the floors on my 6A. Good thing too as I've already had reason to remove the floors to reroute some wiring. In addition, the ELT and AOA computer are mounted on trays below the baggage floor. When I planned on doing so, an e-mail response from Van's confirmed it was no problem but was cautioned that doing so would increase the build time and add a bit more weight. Both issues seemed trivial to me. You may want to contact Van's first just to be certain if only because the RV6 is a very different design than the RV10.