N208ET

Well Known Member
Has anyobdy done a comparison on CHT temps from not using RTV to seal up their baffles gaps, to filling in the gaps? What did it do to your CHT temps? I seem to have a weird situation with my engine. I recently upgraded to a D180 and have found that my CHT temps on my 1 and 3 cylinder are quite a bit higher than 2 and 4, like 50 degree's higher. There has got to be something wierd to cause the right side of the engine to heat more than the left. Highest cht temps are on #1 and will get to 425 pretty easily, in cruise, 65% power at 8500' #1 was stuck at 400 degrees, #3 390ish. OAT was 55 degree's or so. It is very noticable in climbout, #1 and 3 are defineately hotter. I checked the probes in boiling water, their dang close to being right on. Any guess?

Randy
8A 0-360 Swinging a Catto 3 blades

Has anyobdy done a comparison on CHT temps from not using RTV to seal up their baffles gaps, to filling in the gaps? What did it do to your CHT temps?

This is pretty much standard practice, and it will help with the CHT problems.

ANY air not going through the cooling fins is hurting the cooling performance.

Captains Log, Aviation data 2013 and a half

Well, I used RTV on all the gaps in my baffling and did see a dramatic change in temps. In climbout, temps fell a good 20 degrees which I thought was a lot. It let me climb up over terrain that I normally would have had to go around. Funny thing is it seems like my number 4 cylinder warmed up a little, but it was running fairly cold.

I didn't get a chance to check for a speed increase as I was on a cross country but might get around to checking it today. I might be completely off but it seemed like I might have picked up quite a bit of speed from it. I will report back any differences.

Randy
8A 0-360