7DeltaLima

Well Known Member
Group...

I know some of you use your plane to fly on company business. I've been pushing this internally for a couple of years and have finally been asked to produce a draft policy to address this within our corporation. I've Googled and found some policy statements from a couple University's but would appreciate anyone willing to share their companies policy as a starting point.

If you'd rather not share an internal document with the world, you can email directly to me at doug (at) oncloud7.com .

Thanks in advance,
Doug

And post it here, please. When I (theoretically) finish this airplane, it will definitely be used for business. How sweet would it be to expense 100LL? Do you think you could expense a per-hour engine reserve, etc?

Mileage

I had to talk to our corperate Lawyer about this. I needed permision from the department to fly- Goes something like this: They can't legally prevent you from chooseing what type of vehicle to use on a Mileage basis Since my company does offer mileage rates for personal vehicle use. So I was told this: We "Prefered" that you didn't fly personl aircraft to the remote offices. But if you do, "no passengers allowed" and use car based mileage for reimbursement :D

Don't know where you work. But if you work for the Government, there is a rate for using your own aircraft. Just have to request it in your orders.

I had to talk to our corperate Lawyer about this. I needed permision from the department to fly- Goes something like this: They can't legally prevent you from chooseing what type of vehicle to use on a Mileage basis Since my company does offer mileage rates for personal vehicle use. So I was told this: We "Prefered" that you didn't fly personl aircraft to the remote offices. But if you do, "no passengers allowed" and use car based mileage for reimbursement :D

Very similar here - I travel extensively for my job, sometimes to remote areas. My company agreed to pay me direct costs UP TO equivalent airfare on a major airline into the nearest commercial airport, and stipulated no passengers. We don't have a per-mile reimbursement for vehicles, we are given a monthly stipend for using our personal vehicles and then full reimbursement for all operating costs.

On a verbal understanding with mgmt, I expense my aircraft as car miles (I use google maps to calculate car mileage) at $0.505/mi, which is the IRS rate for reimbursement for POV's. There's no engine reserve or maintenance fees, but you'll definitely come out OK. I can normally even rent hangars in my travels and come out on top...maybe because where I live the roads are curvy!! Good luck and keep records.

IRS mileage rate went up on July 1st.

On a verbal understanding with mgmt, I expense my aircraft as car miles (I use google maps to calculate car mileage) at $0.505/mi, which is the IRS rate for reimbursement for POV's.
Hey Bob,
The IRS rate went up to $.585 on July 1st.

Depending on your conscience, you can use Google Maps to calculate the miles (vs. GPS direct). This actually makes sense as you rarely go truly direct and also have to drive to the airport, fly approach, etc.. Of course, you may have a difficult time justifying a rental car if you already "drove there."

I don't think work can legally prevent you from charging the trip as car mileage, but would adopt a "don't ask / don't tell" policy anyway. I also don't see how they could prevent you from allowing a fellow worker to ride along. But then again, if you get canned they aren't always forthcoming with their real reasons, either... ;)

Good luck!

Texas Instruments explicitly prohibits travel by private aircraft while on company business. They almost fired a Vice President over the issue. Anyone ever know Lee Kitchens?
He was pretty well known in engineering circles. He was President of Little People of America for some time. He flew a Tri-Pacer.
If you are a pilot and do ANY travel for the company, you will have the rules explained so that there is NO misunderstanding.

I don't think work can legally prevent you from charging the trip as car mileage, but would adopt a "don't ask / don't tell" policy anyway. I also don't see how they could prevent you from allowing a fellow worker to ride along. But then again, if you get canned they aren't always forthcoming with their real reasons, either... ;)

Good luck!

Oh yes they can - quite easily. Businesses in the US are required to not discriminate against any employee based on sex, race, religion, etc etc - but anything outside those items is fair game. They can (and do) require certain dress codes, certain standards of behavior, and can dictate methods of travel. If you don't like it, don't work for them - but they can pretty much make an employee do what they want them to do as long as it passes EEOC.

MOST corporations are relatively flexible and understanding - but not all.

When I was working for Verizon a few years back, they specifically forbade all employees from traveling for business on private aircraft, unless they had prior individual approval. They also had their own corporate flight department. Getting individual approval for personal aircraft travel was very much a "who you know" item and had basically nothing to do with how you did it or what your skillset was.

Last edited:
more specific questions

Group,
thanks for the initial comments. I'm looking for more specifics for those that may have company policies around using your personal plane for business travel... (basically above and beyond the FAA/ FAR's)

Do you have a stated minimum pilot certification/rating... ie... inst, commercial, etc...

Do you attempt to define a higher weather minimums for IFR flights?

Do you allow additional employees to fly or do you allow solo only?

Do you require any type of recurrent training?

Do you specifically address the PIC go-no go decisions / get-there-itis? Seems an opportunity for a pilot to feel "required" to go if his/her supervisor is part of the trip.

Thanks,
Doug

Business Use versus Liability Coverage

One question I have with respect to business use of experimental aircraft with respect to carrying a passenger is; in the event of an aircraft accident involving personal injury or death of the passenger, would the liability provision of your insurance policy cover the loss?

This also brings up another question...if you use your aircraft for business, I would guess that your insurance coverage on your RV should cover business use versus pleasure / recreational use???

For those of you with some experience in this area, I would appreciate your input.

DAGO

Liability issues

Hey Tom,

I have some experience in this area...

The insurance policies that RV owners buy - and Cessna and Beechcraft owners, for that matter - states the aircraft is used for Pleaseure and Business, or some similar wording. Basically, it is non-commercial / personal use. This can be Saturday afternoon hamburger getting, or a personal business trip. You just can't charge a fee for the use of the airplane. Most policies do allow you to be reimbursed for expenses to some degree. IE - having your company pay some expense. Usually simlilar to what the FAA allows, but not always. Read your policy. Aircraft Use. Also read definitions that apply to the bold words.

Many business do not allow employees to use personal aircraft on company business because of liability issues - actual or perceived.

Think like a tort lawyer. There's a little airplane accident and someone's killed. You can sue the pilot and aircraft owner - and you will. But he only carried $100,000 in passenger liability insurance. The most he could get. But, guess what - He worked for Coca-Cola and was flying to a company meeting. Their pockets are much deeper and now this case is worth taking on a contingency.

Most large corporate risk management departments just say - NO WAY!.

You might have a better chance if you work for a small company and can educate the boss a little.

Flying to that meeting

Deniability ??? This is what you need to preserve for your employer. If you invite your employer evaluate the pros and cons of flying your own experimental aircraft for business, you are going to scare the **** out of them and end your chances for using your airplane. The better tack, IMO, is to say you are going to the meeting in your own ?vehicle? and request only mileage compensation. As you have seen in this thread, the government mileage compensation is substantial. I too usually come out on top and can afford a rental car and hanger. Weather delays can put you in the hole and effect your schedule. If your business schedule is not flexible, you better line up for another TSA experience. :rolleyes:

betting your job on this one

As one of those corp blood-sucking-ovhd folks that have to sign off on the various sec filings and risk managment reviews.... I wouldn't bet my job on ignorance of anything that has the potential and perception of exposing the corp to large liability.

We have a policy that specifically prohibits flying your personal plane (which I'm trying to change). Ignorance wouldn't get you very far as all policies are published and expected to be understood by all.. Just like ignorance is no excuse under the law...

Small companies you may be okay but ......

ymmv,
Doug

Correct

Doug is right. I work for a Fortune 100 company and we have clearly defined rules prohibiting "Piloting or crewing" private aricraft. For sure a liability avoidance issue. Doesn't mean it never happens...