attackpilot

Hello Everyone:

I am reluntantly selling my Davis DA-2A because I will probably deploy soon and I cannot justify the hangar expense.

I have a potential buyer that has agreed to my price. He is unable to pick-up the aircraft himself so he he is sending a ferry pilot. The ferry pilot does not want to determine if the aircraft is acceptable to the buyer or not. I have suggested that he get a local A&P from where I live to give it a prepurchase inspection before the ferry pilot gets here. He would rather do the inspection himself.

I do not feel comfortable having a stranger fly my airplane a great distance to be inspected by another stranger to determine whether or not they agree that it is airworthy. The buyer has agreed to pay the ferry cost if he declines it, but then I wouldn't be able to sell to anyone else while it is gone.

To make matters worse, I have someone else that is very interested in the plane who I like more.

What should I do? Any suggestions? :confused:

Ferry pilot insured

We had an incident at the private grass strip that I hang out at. A new club member hired a ferry pilot to bring his plane up from Florida to be based at the field. The grass strip is 2000 ft long and you have to be on your best game to land on it (think carrier landing). This pilot tried to land 2/3's of the way down the runway when he then realized he made a mistake and ended up going through the fence at the end. The ferry pilot didn't do a flyover to check out the area or airport before trying to land. The owners insurance company paid out but the owner had more in it then the insured value.

I don't think we will allow ferry pilots in without a more experienced club CFI on board going forward. The owner of the airport bought the salvage and we are in the process of putting the plane back together. We will have a low wing Piper for a trainer now. Perfect for a transitioning RV builder to learn in.

FWIW, I think I might pass on that deal. Seems that you are the one at risk if anything at all goes wrong.

Does your insurance policy have any restrictions on pilot experience? I would wonder how many expreienced ferry pilots are out there with sufficient DA-2 time to satisfy your insurance company? That may be the determining factor right there.

My $0.02!

If it was me, I'd just tell the buyer that he has to accept the plane in-place; as-is, where-is. How he chooses to do it is not your problem. That is very standard and reasonable when selling any sort of vehicle. If the buyer has a issue with that, it also helps you address the second problem you mentioned (liking another buyer more).
brian