mark960

Just wondering if anybody has tried using a Garmin nav data card from a 430W in a straight 430 non wass. I know it will not get the 430 the WAAS features, just hoping it will work to get the updated data.

Thanks

Haven't tried, but I seriously doubt it. Seems like a waste for Garmin to continue to produce both if the WAAS could be used in the 430.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't work...has anybody done a DPA on one of these to see what's inside?

The reason Garmin might "produce" both "parts" (if they are, in fact, the same guts inside) is to charge more for the one for the 430W without having to expend any additional NRE or tooling or parts costs.

A short story...I worked for a not-to-be-named GPS manufacturer, and we had two different version of some professional/surveying equipment. One was good to X meters horizontally, and the other was good to X/10 meters horizontally because it used additional signal information. Difference in price was something like 5K for the cheaper one, 10K for the more accurate one.

The *actual* difference was the *absence* a single (capacitor I think it was) inside the more expensive unit.

Don't be fooled by marketing nonsense...but in any case, it couldn't hurt to try it and see what happens. It's only a memory card when it comes right down to it. (I'm assuming you can download the 430W card with 430 non-WAAS data).

Nope

Won't work. WAAS cards are 2X more memory and the std unit cannot handle it.

Just wondering if anybody has tried using a Garmin nav data card from a 430W in a straight 430 non wass. I know it will not get the 430 the WAAS features, just hoping it will work to get the updated data.

Thanks

I have tried it

and was disappointed to find it would not work --- would not recognize the card.