Joe

Well Known Member
My Lycoming XIO-360-M1B came from the factory with a Champion CH48110-1 mounted on the oil filter adapter. I'd rather use the CH48108 (or 48108-1). All things look equal with the exception of the presence/absence of an internal bypass and the gender of the thread.

Can I do so? Or will the internal bypass function of the '108 filter be inappropriate in conjunction with the built in bypass function of the engine's oil filter adapter?

And what would be a good source for the 3/4-16 nipple?

Thanks,
Joe

I can't advise on the compatibility of the oil filters themselves, but a good source of the nipple for an oil filter is to remove one from a filter (48110) that already has one. Go to the local hardware store and grab two nuts that fit the filter nipple. Thread them both on, tighten against one another (not against the filter), and turn the nut closest to the filter to remove the nipple from the filter.

... a good source of the nipple for an oil filter is to remove one from a filter (48110) that already has one ...
Thanks for your reply, Kurt. I think that's a good idea. The two-nuts technique didn't work, nor did a collet on a lathe, but careful use of a bandsaw did the trick. This is what it looks like when it's partially threaded back into the filter from which it came.

Nipple.JPG

For what it's worth, this is what the inside a Champion CH48110-1 looks like:

CH48110-1%20Disassembled_1.JPG

While I'm posting pictures, this is a shot of the oil filter adapter mating surface. Shows the business end of the Vernatherm as well as the female threads that accept this nipple.

Oil_Filter_Adapter.JPG

The nipple is now installed in the threads and I'm waiting for the Loctite to cure before installing the filter and giving it a leak test.

--
Joe

I believe the 108 has the anti-drainback valve internally to stop oil draining back down into the case on shutdown, so it can be mounted vertically in the 90-degree oil adapter. That way you don't have to wait for the filter to fill up again before getting pressure on every start.

I wouldn't be so quick to just use a different filter. They are made differently for a reason, for example, ECIs filter adapter has the following warning:

"NOTE: The ECi angled oil filter adapter does not have an internal bypass valve, so filter CH48109 (or CH48108) must be used!"

Before changing filter types I would advise you to check with the engine manufacturer as to why they require the use of a given filter with your particular accessory case.
You may save yourself a lot of money and down time.

Can I do so? Or will the internal bypass function of the '108 filter be inappropriate in conjunction with the built in bypass function of the engine's oil filter adapter?

I phoned Lycoming Tech Support this morning and received the answer "Lycoming has no procedure for this operation" or something such. My impression is that the tech reps don't have any oil system "hands on" knowledge or even understands the difference between the '110 and '108 filters.

So I wonder if any of the genuine and experienced experts here would weigh in: Walt, Mahlon, ...?

Thanks,
Joe

I never did understand what your goal was here so that would be my first question.

As much as I love experimental aviation, I'm very conservative in my ways, I avoid "going where no man has gone before", I'll leave that to the other guy.

I never did understand what your goal was here so that would be my first question.
Much as I dislike contributing to thread drift (especially in my own thread), here's what I perceive as the benefit of the 48108 over the 48110 for me. YMMV.
  • Parts commonality with the other engine I maintain (uses an ECi right-angle oil filter adapter). Same filter, same filter cutter setup.
  • Less oil leakage when I change it (yeah, I know the "punch a hole in it" trick).
Nothing Earth-shaking there but in lieu of a genuine reason for not doing so, I'll most likely go ahead. Although this is the "Traditional Aircraft Engines" forum I cannot accept the traditional "because that's the way we've always done it" or a similar Lycoming-like response. Otherwise, I would not run electronic ignition or lean of peak or an automotive alternator or ...

--
Joe

There was a situation in the RV-10 community where a builder had an ECI angled oil filter adapter which is supposed to use a 41108 filter. He accidently ordered 48110 filters. Seeing that the adapter used a male thread and the 48110 wouldn't fit, he simply removed the pipe thread stub from the filter adapter and installed a 48110. Turns out that filter crushed as a result. He thought it was a defective filter and tried another which also crushed. He then changed to a different brand (still 48110) and the filter actually survived. It was during a conversation with the first oil filter manufacturer about their filters crushing that it was discovered what happened. Prior to figuring out what really happened, this builder contacted Light Plane Maintenance magazine and they included pictures of these "defective" filters in the article. After the real problem was discovered they revisited the article with corrections. Original article was in about the October 2009 time frame.

Not sure what happens when you do the opposite swap (48108 instead of 48110) but be very careful...

Bob

The "filter end" threads of the nipple in the photo appear to be tapered. If so, how will you assure the proper amount of torque on them?

Joe, just buy some filters that fit your adapter and slip a plastic bag around the filter and adapter when you change filters. Sometimes traditional is good. :)

There was a situation in the RV-10 community where a builder had an ECI angled oil filter adapter which is supposed to use a 41108 filter. He accidently ordered 48110 filters. Seeing that the adapter used a male thread and the 48110 wouldn't fit, he simply removed the pipe thread stub from the filter adapter and installed a 48110. Turns out that filter crushed as a result. He thought it was a defective filter and tried another which also crushed. He then changed to a different brand (still 48110) and the filter actually survived. It was during a conversation with the first oil filter manufacturer about their filters crushing that it was discovered what happened. Prior to figuring out what really happened, this builder contacted Light Plane Maintenance magazine and they included pictures of these "defective" filters in the article. After the real problem was discovered they revisited the article with corrections. Original article was in about the October 2009 time frame.

Not sure what happens when you do the opposite swap (48108 instead of 48110) but be very careful...

Bob

OK, so . . . what happened? Why did the filter "crush"? And how did it crush?

PS - I looked for the reference and could not locate it.

Last edited:
You can find the full write up and additional details by searching on the Matronics RV-10 list.

Bob