mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
I know I'm not the first person to think of this, but here are some pictures of a fun ten-minute project. Personalized keychain bottle openers are dirt cheap on Amazon. Bend up the little tab slightly, grind the corners to fit the cutout in the fuel cap, polish smooth. No more breaking fingernails or hunting around for a tool. The bottle opener feature is retained for its original purpose once the flying day is concluded.

IMG_1201.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg

I have several that were given away by companies for free. Typically when on a trip with a passenger, I lend one with a canopy key to the PAX just in case I lose mine.

The one thing I hate about my 8 is the need for something to pry up the fuel caps
Proper adjustment makes the caps easier to open. Adjustment instructions and parts are shown below for Usher Fuel Caps. Instead of fuel lube/EZ Turn for lubrication many folks use Krytox GPL 205 grease with good results. Expensive, but the small 0.5 ounce tube will last a long time. Don't forget the small O-ring around the stem. Lubricate both O-rings and properly adjust the cap.

i-CZCx5NV-L.jpg

Parts are available from Van's:
Having said all that, I still have an RVPlasticParts fuel cap opener on my keyring! ;)
1719515351196.png

Last edited:
The bottle opener feature is retained for its original purpose once the flying day is concluded.
I usually use the one you have pictured on the right - my car key. As for after the flight, there's nothing better than a long swig of ice cold H2O (I gave up taking alcohol decades ago).

As I do my walk-around, I have my fuel strainer/tester and my plastic fuel quantity gauge in my back pocket. The flat screwdriver that is sticking out of the end of the strainer works perfectly to open fuel caps. Check fuel level, then kneel down and drain the sump. Right wing; drain the sump, open the fuel cap, check fuel level. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/05-03386.php Not fancy but it's something I'm already using......... 😊

Proper adjustment makes the caps easier to open. Adjustment instructions and parts are shown below for Usher Fuel Caps. Instead of fuel lube/EZ Turn for lubrication many folks use Krytox GPL 205 grease with good results. Expensive, but the small 0.5 ounce tube will last a long time. Don't forget the small O-ring around the stem. Lubricate both O-rings and properly adjust the cap.

i-CZCx5NV-L.jpg

Parts are available from Van's:
Having said all that, I still have an RVPlasticParts fuel cap opener on my keyring! ;)
Great info. That little o-ring on the stem is indeed key, when it fails your cap turns into a funnel for rainwater to enter your gas tank. Ask me how I know. 🤣 When properly cleaned, adjusted, and lubricated the caps are quite easy to open — I was amazed.