Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig600

Well Known Member
Make no mistake about it, aviation in the US has been under attack for a long time. The current administration just dealt a huge blow. Another step closer to the failed European model.

It may only apply to turbine a/c... for now. :mad:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&ID=8431C765-152F-4119-902C-1D3E59067A5E

From one of my favortie bloggers, Neptunus Lex:
Mr. Fuller should know that there is no intent here to “fix” anything. The the national airspace infrastructure is in place, and – unlike roads and highways – air routes are famously indifferent to government-funded “repairs”. Aviators already pay at the gas pump for their privilege to fly, with those who use more paying more.

No, it takes money to own and operate an airplane, and money implies success. As a point of moral order, success should be penalized, in order to subsidize deficiency.
Having no expectation of success themselves, some people more readily vote for a share of someone else’s money.

Because of the “fair share”, and that.

Unless I am wrong, Congress would have to institute this tax. Don't expect that to happen.

We all oppose user fees. No point in telling each other. Spend the time writing your congressmen and senators.

I can understand how the general public can be manipulated by an administration with the ?us vs. them?, rich/poor, class warfare ? it?s an old and effective tactic. What disturbs me however, is when we are discussing this same tactic within the context of ?user fees? (AKA ?Rich pilot privilege fees?), and some of us pilots play right into the opposition's hands. If we finds ourselves accused of ?not paying their fair share? while enjoying this ?hobby?, and we're stumbling for an answer, we need a serious tune up. The fact is, the national airspace system is a significant component of the global transportation infrastructure, and the ATC services we use are no more a ?privilege? to pilots than the freeway is a racetrack to drivers of Italian sportscars.

We also have a hard time accurately defining the ?user? of the NAS and ATC services. Some of us think it?s the guys sitting at the pointy end of the airplane ? forgetting that we might not be there if it wasn?t for some little lady who ordered the entire series of Golden Girls DVD?s on line and she wants them RIGHT NOW. Or maybe it?s a load of cancelled checks? or a heart for a little girl who needs a transplant. Heck, a lot of my cash ended up in plenty of cash registers from California to OSH last summer? I?m sure all the owners of those businesses appreciated their benefit (use) of the NAS. They sure said "thank you" when I paid my check.

OK, how about the immediate target ? those fat cat corporate executives riding in the lap of luxury sipping champaign in their G-V? With some notable exceptions, the corporate jet is a major capital expense that must be justified by a legitimate business case and subject to corporate audit. It is a business tool just like a new computer, printer cartridge or pens and paper. If it does not pay it's way, it's gone. As a business tool it contributes to the national or global economy. And if you have a 401k, there?s a pretty good chance that several companies in your retirement portfolio rely heavily on corporate aircraft and the NAS.

I?ll say it again ? the ?users? of the NAS is EVERYONE ? and it is our job at (the very least) to articulate this point to anyone who thinks otherwise, even if it's some of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.