AlinNS

Well Known Member
Hey Folks.

I just finished my inventory for my 14A tail Kit.

10 parts came without any blue film and show signs of having been around a bit. By this I mean some have areas that look like they have been roughed up by a Scotchbrite pad, some are dented, and or scratched. The parts E903 from Emp Sub kit 6, pictured below, have dimpling done on 12 holes starting from the trailing edge and some dents in the egdes that you can see in the picture.

For anyone with this kit that can help me out here are the part #s:

Sub Kit 6
E903 x 2
R903

Kit 4
R912
VS706
VS707
VS704

Kit 9
E904 x 2

Kit 3
VS704

Maybe someone is doing an inventory right now and could compare their part numbers with mine?

I have not contacted Vans yet regarding this but I will be. I want to get my ducks in a row before talking to them. Has anybody else received sheet metal parts without the blue film? Parts that have been scratched up? Pre-dimpled?

Thanks for any help.

Good Morning,

I'm building the 10 and I noticed the same thing with that particular part, E903 tip rib assembly for the elevator. I had to flute it anyway so the small dents on the flange didn't bother me too much. All and all it came out just fine even though those parts looked slightly abused when I got them too. Hope that helps. Good luck with your build!!

Dave

Last edited:
They probably used them for demonstration but I would call and request new parts.

Another part?

Why would you order another part?

These are aluminum right? From visual inspection, part looks OK and it is going to be primed. Can aluminum have some kind of hidden damage?

They probably used them for demonstration but I would call and request new parts.

All of the ribs that came in my emp and wing kits looked like this. I believe the blue film comes off for the shapes to be hydroformed, the surface scuffs and scratches are a result of the forming and or hole punching - a different process to parts that are simply folded and punched. It's quick and easy to sand out the deeper scratches with a fine Roloc sanding disc in an angle die grinder.

There are a few newer rev. level parts (because of development of the RV-14) that get machine dimpled in areas that are difficult for a builder to access with normal dimpling processes (such as the tight area between the flanges on a rib trailing edge like this).
Because the part has holes that are predimpled, it a bit more difficult to remove from the form block after it has been pressed which would explain the slightly wavy flanges.
Scratches are because of no vinyl.
Signs of scotchbright? Don't know, but why not call Van's first instead of starting a thread with a bunch of speculation? (not meaning to be a jerk saying that... just pointing out to the crowd that this sort of thing is just one of many reasons that cause people to get the feeling that tech support at Van's doesn't have a good vibe about the forums)

Oh, and by the way, the area your photos are highlighting where the flange looks like it is not straight... it is supposed to be shaped that way. it is to account for the thickness of the counterbalance arm skin laying under the main rudder skins. It might be evident in the drawings, but if not, it will be when you start fitting the parts together

Last edited:
rvbuilder2002,

I did not intend to cause any speculation towards tech support or any other aspect of the folks at Vans.

"just pointing out to the crowd that this sort of thing is just one of many reasons that cause people to get the feeling that tech support at Van's doesn't have a good vibe about the forums)". Man, I'm so new at this that I don't know what you are talking about. Anytime I have dealt with any of you guys it has been a positive experience. That's the vibe that I have gotten from others on this forum... umm, that had a lot to do with dropping the money on the kit.

My simple intention was to ask other folks who may have more experience with this sort of thing before I bothered you guys with something that may very well be a non issue. Everything else on this shipment looks brand new. These 10 parts don't. For example, I did not know that you pre-dimpled areas that builders may have a hard time getting at. Perhaps others will read this and learn something instead of wondering, and you getting multiple calls in the future?

Anyway, moderators perhaps this thread should be deleted?

rvbuilder2002,

I did not intend to cause any speculation towards tech support or any other aspect of the folks at Vans.

"just pointing out to the crowd that this sort of thing is just one of many reasons that cause people to get the feeling that tech support at Van's doesn't have a good vibe about the forums)". Man, I'm so new at this that I don't know what you are talking about. Anytime I have dealt with any of you guys it has been a positive experience. That's the vibe that I have gotten from others on this forum... umm, that had a lot to do with dropping the money on the kit.

My simple intention was to ask other folks who may have more experience with this sort of thing before I bothered you guys with something that may very well be a non issue. Everything else on this shipment looks brand new. These 10 parts don't. For example, I did not know that you pre-dimpled areas that builders may have a hard time getting at. Perhaps others will read this and learn something instead of wondering, and you getting multiple calls in the future?

Anyway, moderators perhaps this thread should be deleted?

Naw, no need to delete the thread
I assure you, you would not be bothering the guys in tech support. That is what they are there for and they would prefer that people contact them first so they get a chance to look into something that a builder (newby or otherwise) perceives as an issue, or just general questions about anything you are not sure about. It is fully expected, particular with novice builders.

The "not a good vibe about the forums" comment is regarding comments from people here on the forums. You will often see people write that they get t the feeling Van's doesn't like it much.

In truth, it is a double edge sword. There is a lot of good that comes out of it, but there is also a lot of bad (bad, incorrect, unofficial, info being passed) that ends up causing them a lot more work. Example: just one erroneous post on VAF can double their phone workload for a couple days while they answer questions regarding a perceived issue that doesn't really exist.

Why would you order another part?

These are aluminum right? From visual inspection, part looks OK and it is going to be primed. Can aluminum have some kind of hidden damage?

You paid for new parts and that is what they should send. I would insist justr on principle.

No idea about the -14 but some of the parts on the -4 and -7 such as wing ribs are heat treated from my understanding. That means no blue film.

I can't say the -7 had parts that were deformed but pretty much every part on the -4 is deformed like you show.

Call Van's but if it were mine I'd just flute it, scotchbrite it, prime it and move on.