Gmanfly

Just about to finish my tail kit. I'm about to order from Van's my wing kit but found a used wing kit for sale for $4500 with not rivets in the kit. Seller said everithing is in the kit but he is selling it without the rivets. If is all true, Will it be worth time and money getting the rivets from Van's and just paying $4500 for this wing kit? My feeling is to go for the new wing kit from Van's but this could be a good deal. What do you guys think? :confused:

Just about to finish my tail kit. I'm about to order from Van's my wing kit but found a used wing kit for sale for $4500 with not rivets in the kit. Seller said everything is in the kit but he is selling it without the rivets. If is all true, Will it be worth time and money getting the rivets from Van's and just paying $4500 for this wing kit? My feeling is to go for the new wing kit from Van's but this could be a good deal. What do you guys think? :confused:

Gino,
The cost of purchasing replacement rivets for this kit will be very small. Is this kit one of the earlier pre Mark I kits? The later Mark I kits have stronger main spars, so that is also a consideration.
Charlie Kuss
PS I found that on my 8A project, I had to buy a lot of extra rivets. I found that to obtain optimum shop heads, I had to use rivets 1/2 length longer than Vans called out on the drawings [ie AN426AD3-4.5 versus AN426AD3-4] I've got lots of rivets which came with my kit, that I never used.

Last edited:
Make sure you get the fuselage longerons with the used wing kit and look over the entire vans packing list this is the only way to ensure all the parts of the kit are there. I know from experience it is not like ensuring all the parts are there from any certified aircraft.