tkatc

Well Known Member
I am close to pulling the trigger on an -8 empennage. I appreciate the cost savings of buying a used kit but I also want to savor the entire build for myself. I am in no hurry to get it flying since I already fly a -7A so the time savings of a partially built kit is not an advantage in my eyes. Ideally, I could buy a used kit at a discount that has not been started yet but I doubt there are many of them around.

I'd like to hear the pros and cons of buying new vs used...

Shipping will of course come into play as I am in NJ.

Particularly for the empennage go with new. The empennage is the "learning" kit more than the others and I have seen a lot of very poor examples on the used market. If you do by used only by locally and inspect with an experienced builder. I have bought a emp and had it shipped. Pictures looked good (even knowing what to look for), described as being well built at a builders assistance workshop. Lets just say it is resting in a scrap yard somewhere and I ordered a new kit from Vans. Some of the worst workmanship I have ever seen. Rebuild would have required 90% replacement so it wasn't worth it. Pictures can be taken carfully and not show everything.

Pro vs Con

Biggest pro would be the cost savings. The biggest con in my opinion is dealing with other peoples mistakes. I had an RV-6 kit I bought used. Workmanship looked good however as I got into it I started finding issues. Just my 2 cents.

I am close to pulling the trigger on an -8 empennage. I appreciate the cost savings of buying a used kit but I also want to savor the entire build for myself. I am in no hurry to get it flying since I already fly a -7A so the time savings of a partially built kit is not an advantage in my eyes. Ideally, I could buy a used kit at a discount that has not been started yet but I doubt there are many of them around.

I'd like to hear the pros and cons of buying new vs used...

Shipping will of course come into play as I am in NJ.

Depends...

I purchased a wing kit not started with a completed empennage, since I already built the tail I sold the one with the wings to pay for the rental truck to go to Northern PA. I know any time you can purchase from an Individual, you may avoid tax consequences in your state for that portion of the plane.:)