Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Happy New Year everyone...

I'm looking for folks' opinions on the best sources for used (mid-time or less) engines.

Thanks,

Tom

Sources

For 0 320 check the shops that do conversions to 0 360. Penn Yan in NY and a shop in KS. Just google Cessna 172 0 360 conversions.

I was very happy with the one I bought from Beegles Aircraft Service in Greely, CO.

Engines purchased from any of the major salvagers (already mentioned), that were removed from storm damaged (not running or flying at time of accident) are good prospects as long as a flood was not part of the event.

These engines are usually from an aircraft that was being somewhat regularly flow (vs sitting in storage for an unknown period). This can be verified as long as log books are provided (if not that would be a deal breaker for me on any engine)
Another benefit to a purchase from the salvage companies is they will typically guarantee that the case and crank are serviceable.

I found my 0360-A4M by placing a post on Piperforum.com. A Cherokee 180 owner removed it to replace with a new engine.

Engines purchased from any of the major salvagers (already mentioned), that were removed from storm damaged (not running or flying at time of accident) are good prospects as long as a flood was not part of the event.

These engines are usually from an aircraft that was being somewhat regularly flow (vs sitting in storage for an unknown period). This can be verified as long as log books are provided (if not that would be a deal breaker for me on any engine)
Another benefit to a purchase from the salvage companies is they will typically guarantee that the case and crank are serviceable.

This.

I found one in AZ that had been on a high time Piper Archer that belonged to a flight school. The AC was destroyed in a wind storm but had had an engine OH in July 2014 and flew over 1100 hrs since. I had to replace one cylinder that was damaged. Once I upgrade it to FI and P-Mag, add a Plane Power Alt, OH the Sky-Tech starter to make it 12 volt (the AC was 24) and a few other small items, I'll have a great mid-time engine for around 14k, including accessories. That's about 15k less than going new and I expect to get 1500 hours or more out of the engine.

I have a few of the items that I pulled off the engine for sale here to help offset some of the upgrade item costs.

They are not easy to find but it can happen. Set up a search on Barnstormers with keywords Lycoming and 360 and watch the AIG aircraft salvage site for deals on entire AC with decent engines.

Good experience with Wentworth...

I bought my mid-time engine (O320-D3G) from Wentworth. I called them weekly for about 3 months until I found the one I wanted. 900 hours since last overhaul, three years prior. It was a club airplane, so was flown very regularly and maintained regularly. Landing incident totaled the aircraft, but no prop strike.

So far (120 hours) it has been a solid engine.

I would work with Wentworth again.

Michael-

There are deals out there, but you have to be at the right place, or website at the right time.

believe it or not, I walked up to wentworth at S&F and asked, " don't laugh, but do you have any 360's right now?" he said we have one coming in next week from a mooney salvage with no prop strike. I told him I wanted first option on it do you want a deposit? he said, no just give me you phone number. he called the next week and we made a deal. turned out to be a great buy. they are out there just keep looking.

bob
RV-4
N82RB