Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I've been looking for a used engine for a while now. I find that the price seems to be set almost completely based on TSMO without regard for when the last overhaul occurred. For example, one of the air salvage yards has a O-320 D2A for sale for 11k. It has 992 TSMO, which was done in 1995. That's 16 years ago. Could an engine that is 16 years SMO really be worth much more than core price?

Do the salvage yards typically dicker? Or are the prices take it or leave it?

Thanks,
Michael-

I've been looking for a used engine for a while now. I find that the price seems to be set almost completely based on TSMO without regard for when the last overhaul occurred. For example, one of the air salvage yards has a O-320 D2A for sale for 11k. It has 992 TSMO, which was done in 1995. That's 16 years ago. Could an engine that is 16 years SMO really be worth much more than core price?

Do the salvage yards typically dicker? Or are the prices take it or leave it?

Thanks,
Michael-

Everything is negotiable.

IIRC, Lycoming TBO is 2,000 hours or 12-years for that engine. I do not have a problem going over 12-years if I am the one that rebuilt the engine. See latest copy of Lycoming Service Instruction SI1009AU.

An overhaul on a Lycoming engine is only as good as the shop that did the work. It is possible to overhaul a Lycoming engine and one hour later the engine will not meet the overhaul spec. IMHO, all overhauls should be done by a reputable shop to NEW spec or as a field REBUILD to New Specs.

IF I were the one buying the engine, there is a good possibility that I would NOT pay more than CORE Value for the engine you describe.

IF you want to buy the engine, take a copy of the above Service Instruction with you and SHOW them that the engine is only a core and needs overhauled per Lycoming Recommendations.