David-aviator

Well Known Member
Lycoming 0-320-B2B - $4500 - 2122 TTSN/322 STOH.

Sounds like a decent engine to pick up for an OH, first run engines are usually in good shape.

But the reality is this engine was built in 1961, it is 50 years old!

It is tribute to Lycoming that an engine will function that long, but 50 years without an overhaul? It was on a Cherokee 140 until last year.

I decided not to take it as there certainly are some unknown corrosion issues inside this motor.

I have one of similar vintage but its an e2d, paid $2000 for it. Sparkling inside. Surprised the heck out of me.

Bought my O-320-E3D for $3500. 2500 TT, first run, early '70s vintage. Came off a Beechcraft Sport, flying school in Arizona. Burned about 1 quart every 12-15 hrs. Flew it for 3 years. Rebuilt it and found every part to be within tolerance.

my dad has a single ignition O-145 from the 1940s kept in a pole barn for 60 years by an ex P-51 mechanic. pulled it apart a few months ago and looked inside... near mirror finish on all parts. My dad is going to go through it and start it just to hear her purr. Love the old engines.

Don't think there's anything wrong with them given good maintenance and care. There haven't exactly been leaps and bounds in aircraft engine mechanics in the last 50 years. All we're seeing now is engine management systems, not new engines.

High time

Engine shops have told me over the years that if the engine has reasonable compression, reasonable oil consumption, good oil pressure, and good oil analysis, keep running it. 0-320 bottom ends are pretty tough. The REAL question is WHY is it being pulled... Just because of high bottom end time? If so, then you are getting a proven engine for core price. You could run it as is for several more years. But a major overhaul could easily run $18K, then you'd have in it the same price as a new engine, but it's like new. You know the old saying, you can pay me now or pay me later.

Those older O320's have an AD about replacing the oil pump at first run out.

Frankly, my two cents on used engines is I wouldn't buy one with more than 1200 hrs. They can usually be found on totaled planes from wind storms. It is best to at least know the seller, or something about them. If you get lucky, youll get 10-15 yrs. of use out of it.

I bought a 750 hr engine for my -9A from a private party on east coast. Was told it was in good shape. I had my local engine shop look at it when it got here... it had serious cylinder & camshaft corrosion AND a cracked crankshaft flange!! Needless to say I was lied to and furious over it. I'll spare the long story, but I ended up with no recourse other than having a major done. I ended up with "like new", for New price. So as always, buyer beware.

Last edited:
Lycoming 0-320-B2B - $4500 - 2122 TTSN/322 STOH.

Sounds like a decent engine to pick up for an OH, first run engines are usually in good shape.

But the reality is this engine was built in 1961, it is 50 years old!

It is tribute to Lycoming that an engine will function that long, but 50 years without an overhaul? It was on a Cherokee 140 until last year.

I decided not to take it as there certainly are some unknown corrosion issues inside this motor.

Sounds just like my engine. O320 B2B manufactured in 1961. It had 1,7XX since overhaul when I purchased it. I rebuilt it to new specs before I started flying it in my RV-6 then did a top replacement when it had 2,200 hours since my field rebuild. There is now a total of 5,5xx hours since new on my 50 year old engine. At the present time, I use one quart of oil in about 40-hours. Change spin on filter and oil when it is down one quart and would be time to add or change. BTW. I use multi-weight oil. Used AeroShell for most of the 14 years that my RV has been flying. Been using Phillips X/C 20-50 for the past two years.