LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
Question:

I have a line on an Axis Citation sprayer turbine HVLP. All I know is it is operational (not sure if 3 or 4 stage). "works great" but it is not local.

Comes with Lexair gun, hoses. No mask.

$700 + Shipping.

Does that seem like a reasonable deal? I was considering buying one anyway, but the alternative is to get a new one, fresh from the company, with everything I want, and it would be guaranteed through manufacturer.

Either way, I am thinking either resell here or provide to my local EAA chapter once I am not using it.

They seem to go fast here on VAF.

Any experience?

Last edited:
I've got a Fuji Mini-Mite 3 system, which I think is very good. They are available for $590 new, for comparison. I haven't painted an airplane with it, but I built the cabinets for my remodeled kitchen, and sprayed a glossy finish with it.

The Mini-Mite 4 (four-stage turbine compared with the three in the other model) is $730 new, if you want to allow for more power.

The Mini-Mite 3 is a noisy unit but easy to use. The packages come complete with gun, hoses, etc.

http://www.fujispray.com/hvlp-systems/

Dave

Let me give you a pirep on the Axis Citation / Lexair system. It does give very good results; equal to or slightly less than my very high end SATA gun.

What I don't like is constantly tripping over the two large corrugated hoses. You will also need to clean the outside of the hoses to help prevent the accumulated paint flecks from blowing onto your wet paint.

Read the paint gun setup tech sheets provided by the paint supplier. Then be sure to get the correct gun needles and nozzles for that paint. Also get an extra set of filters (2 different ones) for the turbine unit.

The fresh air mask works very well.

The turbine unit puts out warm/hot air. This will affect which temperature range reduce you select...select a higher temp reducer.

The Lexair gun is fairly easy to clean. But it is a pain to haul the gun, hose, and turbine unit away from the paint booth to a different area to clean the gun.

The SATA gun requires a LOT of AIR (CFM) to properly atomize the paint...big compressor and large air lines and fittings. The Axis system is well contained and works as a system, requiring only a 110VAC outlet.

I do not recommend that you shoot PPG K38 high build primer through the Lexair gun. You can certainly do it, but the primer sets up quicker than you can shoot a cup full of the stuff. Get a cheepie 'ol $49.00 gun with a small cup from your box store and use it for the K38 and fiberglass parts.

Hope this helps.