md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
I may have an opportunity to pick up an unfinished RV9 tail kit but want to build a 9A. Is it possible to use the 9 kit but build the 9A and, if so, will Van's register me as a 9 or 9A? Thanks.

I believe the only difference between the tail on the 9 and 9A is the holes in the lowest rudder hinge bracket mounted on the spar of the vertical stabilizer. If you're building a 9A you use two rivets in the lower corners of the bracket. If you're building a 9 the holes will eventually get drilled for bolts, which I believe somehow attach to the tailwheel assembly.

Van's doesn't even know what you're building (9/9A) until you order the fuse kit, so they won't care. If the kit is unfinished, it is very likely that this step would not have been completed yet.

Thanks for the quick replies! I had suspected as much but was wanting advice from those that really know. Thanks, again.

Something tells me in the beginning there was no 9 and 9A, only the 9 and it was a nose gear.

Of course since I only have 2 brain cells left and I am saving one for retirement...I could be using the wrong one...

Bob

More detail on TW- specific emp

I believe the only difference between the tail on the 9 and 9A is the holes in the lowest rudder hinge bracket mounted on the spar of the vertical stabilizer. If you're building a 9A you use two rivets in the lower corners of the bracket. If you're building a 9 the holes will eventually get drilled for bolts, which I believe somehow attach to the tailwheel assembly.

Van's doesn't even know what you're building (9/9A) until you order the fuse kit, so they won't care. If the kit is unfinished, it is very likely that this step would not have been completed yet.

Andy is correct. Those holes are for bolts that go through the aft-most F912 bulkhead and the aft plate of the WD-409(?) tailwheel spring mount. However, they are very unlikely to be drilled until the VS is being fitted to the completed fuse. Even if they have, it's not a deal - breaker. Just match drill the bolt holes to the F912 bulkhead during final assembly and put the bolts in anyway. If there are no holes, you get to drill them and put in rivets per the - A plans.

I am working from memory so check my info before relying on it.

Don't forget to contact Vans and have them assign the seller's builder number to you. They may want a letter or note detailing the specifics.

Don't forget to contact Vans and have them assign the seller's builder number to you. They may want a letter or note detailing the specifics.

Yeah, thanks. I also found this in a recent RVator:

"Kit Ownership Change

When a kit, flying or not, changes ownership, please send a copy of the bill of sale (fax: 503-678-6560, mail: 14401 Keil Rd NE, Aurora, OR 97002 or email: [email protected] ), so the file can be changed into the name of the new owner. The bill of sale should include the signature of the former owner(s), serial number of the kit and the name/contact information of the new owner (i.e. address, email, telephone, fax)."