Jeff R

Well Known Member
When I was building my wooden F12A, I was using stainless steel hardware vs. the regular corrosion resistant AN hardware for added protection in my coastal environment. With my empennage kit for my RV9, I see all the AN hardware is the standard corrosion resistant steel. Does it make sense to change to stainless, seeing as how I plan to base my plane at an airport (Merritt Island) with a runway that juts out into a briny lagoon (Indian River) a few miles from the ocean?

Jeff
Working on empennage, RV9A

Jeff:
Most AN hardware is electroplated with cadmium and dichromate, the latter giving it the gold color. This coating has excellent corrosion resistance, and is likely even better than bare alclad sheet. If you end up priming components as many builders do, the fasteners get the benefit of this coating as well. Some AN fasteners, such as prop bolts, spar fasteners, etc. are "graded" for strength and must NOT be replaced by stainless. Grade markings can be found on the head of the bolts.
Your choice on priming (many threads on this subject), but my own choice was to alodine and zinc chromate prime any bare (un- clad) aluminum and to lay down primer on the contact surfaces between joined parts. This was easily done with zinc chromate in a rattle can. My approach to corrosion resistance was taken after conducting a series of lab tests using a certified salt spray cabinet and testing to ASTM standards.
Back to your original question, I would not replace any of the AN fasteners that come with your kit. You might however, consider aftermarket wheel fairing attachment brackets made of stainless. Much stronger than the aluminum standards and highly resistant to abrasion and corrosion. Also, braided stainless brake lines in the cockpit aren't a bad idea.
Have fun. Good luck in your adventure.
Terry
RV9A
N323TP

I don't like stainles steel hardware because when you drop a screw or nut into a hard to reach area of your plane, you can't fish it out with a magnet.

Aluminum is Anodic to Stainless Steel

Aluminum will corrode in the presence of stainless (at what rate??). Problem is, the aluminum is the sacrificial component here.

I would rather replace corroded screws than corroded aluminum parts such as skins. Planning to keep use of stainless steel screws to a minimum.

Boeshield

Any little scratch on the hardware will corrode near the ocean. I plan to use a lot of Boeshield on all my hardware before my plane gets near the ocean.

Hans

As on seaplanes around the coast a lot of owners want to replace the AN hardware with stainless. My standard answer is" do you want your aircraft to corrode away or the hardware, it is cheaper to replace the hardware."
They then see the point and continue to replace the AN hardware.