cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I have been advised to use Boelube on rod end bearings that were very difficult to insert and nut plates in which the screws were difficult to insert and other places. I did and liked the results. So I decided to use some on the AN 3 bolts that insert into nut plates on the main spar and hold in place the aileron bell crank bracket. I was thinking that doing so would cut down on the friction in the nut and make the torqueing of the bolt more accurate. After doing so, however, I have begun to worry that I might have defeated the self-locking feature on the nut. Is this a possibility and if so, I wonder how to correct it.

I have been advised to keep boelube off the threads of bolts that I use it on. Just place it on the shank.

Regards,

Torque figures for threaded fasteners can be caculated "wet" or "dry", most are for clean, dry threads. Some are caculated for oiled threads, some with sealing compounds or anti sieze compounds, etc. It depends on the design of the fastener or joint. In general, normal shop practice is unless specified differentaly (like inside an oil bathed engine, etc), torque with clean, dry threads.

Yup, it affects torque, I lube bolts if they are hard to insert (wing bolts for example) but Not the threads. In the case of rod end bearings , no problem, you are going to put a jam nut on them anyway (aren't you?) ;)

Larry