dave4754

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever used Cleveland wheels and brakes using 600 x 6 mains. I have a good opportunity to acquire some and dont know if they will work? ideas???

Allow for axle size increase needed. And use caution. The brakes were designed for 2500# aircraft. You could easily tip your 7 on it's nose with enough pressure applied.

Last edited:
Probably not the best idea.

The additional mass and moment of inertia will increase the likelihood of shimmy and vibration of the landing gear. Also the wheel pants won't fit.

So let's see - more weight, more work, a landing gear vibration problem, more drag from the larger pants.....

Dave

Has anyone ever used Cleveland wheels and brakes using 600 x 6 mains. I have a good opportunity to acquire some and dont know if they will work? ideas???

The answer is yes, it has been done. But I would only do it if my landing conditions required it. Not needed for normal operations. It will add weight, but that's about it.

This has been done on a few RV-9's that I know of. It takes custom gear legs with longer axles. These are about the same cost as the standard legs. Bigger wheels, tires, ar needed. Tipping over doesn't seem to be an issue.

Contact Van's for details.