AAflyer

Well Known Member
I worked hard to keep my new -8 lightweight. Maybe too hard. I need to add some ballast to the nose in order to comfortably carry a....mmmm....
generously proportioned?...rear seat pax.
Was looking for lead shot to put in forward bag compartment, but was concerned about the need for a robust tie-down. I also stumbled on a post where someone mentioned a STEEL crush plate. Mine is a Sabre aluminum plate on a Catto 3-blade.
Does anyone have info on swapping out crush plates as a solution? Of course this would change the inertia of the prop, so I ned to discuss this with Catto, I guess.
Thoughts?

Of course this would change the inertia of the prop, so I ned to discuss this with Catto, I guess.

A heavy crush plate won't notably change anything in terms of inertia; diameter is too small to have much effect.

A search will reveal discussions in the -7 forum where this is an issue for the same reasons.

I have a 20 lb Saber plate going on mine in the next week or two. If it happens to be a too much (most do 14-20 lbs), I plan to replace the 15 lb PC680 with an Earth-X to help compensate, though the final W&B will determine the final plan.

If you have a light weight starter, you can replace it with a standard starter. It will add some weight in about the same spot.

Jay

Talk to Sam at Sabre

If you go the saber route talk to Sam about the bolt holes, his prior approach drilled the holes slightly larger for ease of insertion of the bolts, in some cases (mine included) this introduced slight vibration due to the spacer not being perfectly centered. I am sending mine back to re-drill with close tolerance holes. There is another thread about this on the site.

Other than that the crush plate works as intended.

As Carl asked: Where's your battery? If it's a Lead Acid battery in the rear, you can move it to the firewall or go with a Lithium Iron Phosphate and save another 15+lbs.