Would you use a "turn-key" flight test resource package for your aircraft?

• Yes, and would be willing to pay a small fee if professionally done

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Yes, but only if it's offered for free

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Maybe, I'd have to see a sample before deciding

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No, I'd prefer to make my own test cards and data plots

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg G

I've been searching the internet lately for some good resources (flight cards, procedures, data redux tools, etc.) regarding a flight test program for RV aircraft, and haven't found anything too comprehensive or "turn-key." AC 90-89B provides pretty good guidance, but is very generalized. I believe that testing your aircraft is a fantastic way to learn the particulars regarding how it flies in all portions of the envelope, and I'm pretty passionate about this work. I'm a career flight test engineer with formal education in the subject area, and am looking to see whether you guys would use these resources if I was to build a professional set... even if you're past the "fly off" phase and just want to learn more about your aircraft. I'm honestly not yet sure whether this is something that I could do quickly and provide for free, or whether it will take substantial time leading me to request a reasonable (small) fee. Please vote, comment below, or send me a message with your thoughts.

Thanks!
Greg

Greg and I have discussed this a bit, and I suggested he ask the membership here.

I personally wish I would have had a set of "test cards" for my flyoff-------but that is just my opinion.

There are people in the EAA working on this exact project right now - not sure the status, but I have seen drafts, and it will be a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear that EAA is taking this on. This is something I think is pretty important, and believe I have something to contribute, so I'll probably share what I put together anyways if even for free. Appreciate the help!

Greg

Back when I was I the EAA Homebuilt Aircraft Council, we got fairly far along on that but didn't take it to completion because staff was overworked, IIRC. Hopefully I've still got it on my computer. Send me your email address.

Ed

I voted no mainly because I was able to make my own using examples others had posted and other flight test resources ( the AC, EAA webinars, test flight articles, etc) available online and lived to tell the tale. However, I'm sure there are others that would prefer the turnkey option.

I voted no because I intend to use examples which are already available and create my own using them as a basis.

I have a small bit of formal background in it and am looking forward to that phase of the project.

Note that here and there, some of the data is readily available. You can do a search for these documents:

USNTPS-FTM-NO. 108 Fixed Wing Performance

USNTPS-FTM-NO. 103 Fixed Wing Stability and Control

USNTPS-FTM-NO. 109 Systems Testing

And these will give you some background and in some cases might prove useful. Back issues of EAA's Experimenter over the last few years carried some good discussions, too, more oriented towards our aircraft but limited in topic.

Dave

I also thought about doing the same. But right now i am going through my own stuff and some docs from Vac, and dont have the time. Vac has done a great job with his doc.

Its a service just like those that go get help from a build center or pay for an instrument panel or interior. If you dont have the skill, you can get a better product from someone that does it for a living.

Thanks guys for the good words and reasons for voting "no." I understand that some folks have more free time than others, so building your own program makes sense. I was just offering up my flight test background to help make it easy to collect data in-flight, then jam the data into a simple computer program that would generate the plots you need/desire for your POH. After all, who doesn't want to know the best rate of climb schedule and best range cruise speeds for your specific aircraft to save some cash on fuel? ;)

Thanks again,
Greg