RadioRick

I am trying to configure the ADS-6000B using a radio shack Gigaware USP to serial port adapter. It worked only one time and now I am unable to get computer to talk with ADS-B unit. Tried using two different computers one with Windows 8 and the other with Windows 9. What are the secrets? Unfortunately Bill Moffet was not much help.......

Thanks,

Radio Rick

Try Updating the Driver for the Adapter

You may want to try installing the drivers for the device directly form the company that make the USB chip that I believe is used in this adapter.

I believe that this is the chipset:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Here are the drivers:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/UserFiles/file/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1_7_0.zip

We run into problems with using USB to Serial converters all the time. We keep converters from several different manufacturers and when one doesn't work with a particular Operating System and target system we try another converter. Usually one of the converters will work. Above all make sure you have the current drivers for the chipset used by the device installed.

larosta

I was unable to communicate using a brand new loaded to the hilt windows 8 laptop. I went back to my 4 year old XP laptop and it worked instantly.

Unfortunately Bill Moffet was not much help.......

While true, I'm not sure that comment is fair. Bill is intimately familiar with his products, not every combination of laptop, OS and convertor. His expectation is that you connect to the ADS600B with a functioning trio (laptop, OS and USB/Serial convertor). I had the same issue and it was MY problem, not his.
A solution could certinly be for him to sell a laptop and convertor that is known to work. Would you buy it?

Last edited:
ADS-600B update

I finally had to find a old computer with the 9 pin DB plug on the back of it. Then I was able to program the unit within 5 minutes. I would like NavWorx to simply list in there manual what computer and USB will work. Ok then.... Simply tell me in the install manual from the start what I need so that I can plan accordingly. I have been during avionics for 35 years so this is not my first rodeo! On a side note the customer service at GRT has been great!

Thanks,

RadioRick