s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a 496 mounted in an airgizmo panel dock. The single USB connector on the rear of the unit is to be used for XM Weather. My thought was to connect a hub to this port and run the XM Weather off one end and then plug in another USB cable when it was time for the monthly database updates to the unit. Has anyone done this or is there a reason this is a dumb idea. This would keep me from having to pop the 496 out of the mount to update the database.

Thanks in advance
phelps

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this question, too. I'd like to do the same thing.

For now what I've done is installed an extension to the USB cable effectively moving the port to the lower edge of my instrument panel. When I want to do an update or download a track, I unplug the XM antenna and plug my USB cable in from my computer.

This method works, but it's not nearly as elegant as an installed solution would be. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the VAF community will provide an answer.

BTW, I called Garmin and they couldn't/wouldn't answer the question.

I may be out on a limb here, but I think that in order for a hub to work the 496 would have to be capable of "registering devices." With more than one item on the network, how would the 496 "know" when to go into software update mode and ignore the other attached devices?

My guess is that it MIGHT even work with only one device attached to the hub, but will "go stupid" when you add another or simply pick the first.

But, please try it and let us know if it works! :D

Rod spoke with Garmin today and the only way they know is the extension trick you have come up with. I asked if the connection was a proprietary format or configuration and they said no it was conventional. My extension cable is on order. :)
Thanks
Phelps

Cool.

My 496 actually came with an extension cable. It had a male mini-usb on one end and a right-angle female mini-usb on the other end.

It works, but it's still not as nifty as a permanent mount solution. Oh well.