Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Where's the best (ie: on the cheap) place to get a cable for updating a 430 card?

Unfortunately, Jeppesen (and Garmin) have you over a barrel. Their arrangement with Garmin makes them the sole supplier of the data for the card. That in turn obligates you to use their device for programming also. If your 430 is not a waas unit, you might find an older device for sale by someone who has upgraded theirs to a waas, as the older devices won't program a waas chip. Quite a deal considering the data is supplied to them free from the government!

There was also something about ongoing support from Jeppesen, but I don't recall the details. I'd be sure to check with them before buying anything older.

The VAF Community Data Card Programmer, of course

A few months back, we purchased the Data Card Programmer from Garmin. (Terrain and obstacles, not Jeppesen data.) We sent it around the country to various VAF members that wanted to borrow it. We recently received the programmer back from the first round and are planning on starting another tour in a few weeks for anyone else that is interested.

Here are the basic details if you can wait a little while:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=29484

Last edited:
it'd be really nice if this could happen sooner rather than later, so we can get the software updated while the terrain is still free. I think it becomes non-free in december!

jeppesen support is free

the downloads for my 430 have changed to the new hardware and software from jeppesen. i called them and they sent out the new stuff for free. the new card reader supports garmin, edge, and pcmcia cards with usb cable included. not bad. :eek

Many Questions

I have a 430 not a 430W.

Would it be possible for someone to PM me with their phone # so I can call them and to ask a few questions that I am wondering about.

I bought the unit new about a year ago when I was putting together my avionics package. It finally goes into use in about 1 month and I need to update the database, get a card reader/programmer, have questions about operating system update, etc.....

I need someone in the know. I don't mind buying the cable, but I have too many questions to type in here and a 5 minute call would be really appreciated.

it'd be really nice if this could happen sooner rather than later, so we can get the software updated while the terrain is still free. I think it becomes non-free in december!

Where did you find terrain for free?

Very Low Price, I Think

I bought a new card reader from Jeppessen (the small blue one) for my WAAS and non-WAAS cards --usb plug-in --- I think it was only $50.00 and it worked a lot faster than the old style reader.