Someone on here recently submitted a photo of their aileron (I think) trailing edge that turned up. He said Van's said they bent it wrong and he rebuilt it. I had the same situation but the fix was simple. I tried all kinds of searches but couldn't find it again. Who was it, please?

Was it this one?

061217_001.jpg

If so it was Brad and he has an excellent site! http://www.rv7factory.com

http://www.rv7factory.com/log/061217.html scroll down for the pics

Flap Skin Fit Trouble

Last week was crazy, but things have calmed down somewhat now... Back to the shop I go!

Tonight, I got back to work on the flaps attempting to cleco and drill the bottom flange of the top skin in place. Unfortunately, thing didn't work out at planned (see below). For some reason, the flaps just won't go together correctly, leaving me with a ski-jump in the bottom skin of the flap. Not good! I tried bending the trailing edge in the brake, but the results were minimal. I am going to send an email to Van's tomorrow.

Yuk, this is no good! The holes in the bottom flange of the top skin won't line up properly with the holes in the ribs/bottom skin. I have to pull/push the flange forward to get the clecos in and this is what I am left with.

Update: Van's responded rather quickly telling me that the flap skins were mis-bent at the factory and informing me that new flap skins were being sent. Thanks Van's!
<<Previous | Log Index | Home | Next>>

That's the one! Thanks to both!

I have the same situation on my aileron, but I see that by removing the clecos along the bottom of the ribs the ski-jump relaxes, so I think that by getting new end ribs without punched holes on the bottom flange I can get around this. Anybody else had this problem?

WSBuilderHM said:
I have the same situation on my aileron, but I see that by removing the clecos along the bottom of the ribs the ski-jump relaxes, so I think that by getting new end ribs without punched holes on the bottom flange I can get around this. Anybody else had this problem?
Yup, it was me! IIRC, Van's said new unpunched end ribs was another possible solution, but then went on to say that since flap skin is riveted along it's entire length new ribs weren't going to help me. Might work for the ailerons, but can't say for sure.

Helpful Input, Brad!

Brad,
I think it'll work for the aileron. Thanks for posting your issue. It wasn't as nerve wracking when I had the similar situation.