647jc

Well Known Member
I just had to ship my Dynon D100 EFIS back to Dynon for evaluation / repair. I was quite shocked at what UPS charged me for regular 5 day ground shipping from Iowa to Washington. The box was approximately 12? square and weighed about 4 pounds and they charged me almost $54.00 shipping. The declared value was $2600.00 and they said they had to charge $1.50 per $100.00 for insurance plus another $4.00 for signature (required on anything over $1000.00). The UPS website says they charge $.60 per $100.00 for insurance but their online cost estimator applies $.90 per $100 but the UPS store says the corporate rate is $1.50 per $100. Wow, I?m just recovering from my $75.00 (round trip) UPS shipment of my RV9A nose wheel leg and now this. I?m going to have to get a second job just to pay for my shipping costs.

Sounds like you need to find another UPS Store. I ship UPS all the time and never see this kind charges.

The UPS store is an independant branch of the UPS business. Previously called "Mail Boxes Etc." My opinion a major rip off.

Most people do not know that they charge a premium over the normal UPS charges.

Take your stuff to a true UPS terminal and it will be way cheaper!

Last edited:
FedEx Ground

Try FedEx Ground next time.

I have found that they are about 25% less expensive then UPS. You can go to the FedEx Ground website and enter in all the shipping info and get a price. See if it is less then UPS.

I specifically asked them about their prices and they said their prices are the SAME as the corporate terminals. I asked the same question at a corporate terminal and they said all UPS stores charge the same prices as the terminals. I too thought it was the UPS store but according to UPS, the 'stores' although they are franchises, charge the same as corporate terminals.

"Insurance"

I stopped paying for insurance on anything shipped via UPS after an incident at work. We had a $7500 piece of computer equipment shipped back to the manufacturer for repair. The manufacturer actually took pictures of it while it was still on the UPS truck because it was completely destroyed. UPS had run a fork through it. We shipped it back in it's original packaging. UPS claims that the packaging was "insufficient" and they couldn't be held responsible for the damage. Our claim against the insurance was denied. When asked what level of packaging was appropriate to protect against their handlers running a fork through it the claims agent refused to answer.

I specifically asked them about their prices and they said their prices are the SAME as the corporate terminals. I asked the same question at a corporate terminal and they said all UPS stores charge the same prices as the terminals. I too thought it was the UPS store but according to UPS, the 'stores' although they are franchises, charge the same as corporate terminals.

My experience has been different. I got ripped by them once and know for a fact that they charged me a premium. I shipped something using them because they were closer. Later I thought "Wow that seems high" and then at a different date, shipped a similar package to the same place using the main UPS terminal and it was way cheaper.

They really get you on the extra services like insurance.

fedex online

What most people do not realize is that you can prepare your own shipments online for fedex, ups and usps (priority and express). I have found that fedex is usually the most cost effective. You can print off the labels and drop the packages at a local store that ships via the carrier you choose. I believe I get the same rates as if I took it to the distribution center.

I stand corrected

I just spoke to a corporate UPS person and they said the UPS stores DO charge differen't rates, contrary to what the UPS store told me and what the UPS Terminal told me. I think possibly the actual shipping rate may be the same but they really rip you off for the extras such as insurance, etc. Last time I use the 'UPS Store'.

I had a similar experience a while back (when they were still called Mail Boxes Etc.. never used them again... Granted, I use a corporate UPS (and DHL) discount now.. helps A LOT..

Kinkos... and USPS

I just spoke to a corporate UPS person and they said the UPS stores DO charge differen't rates, contrary to what the UPS store told me and what the UPS Terminal told me. I think possibly the actual shipping rate may be the same but they really rip you off for the extras such as insurance, etc. Last time I use the 'UPS Store'.

This is what I found too... and if you go to an independent "shipping company" storefront, it's even worse.

However, it seems that the FedEx Kinko locations (and there seem to be more of them than UPS Stores) do just charge the corporate rates with no mark-up.

So all my shipping goes through Kinkos now...:)

Don't forget the good old Post Office for shipping.

http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage

For about $38 the package you mention initially could go 2-day Priority Mail from AZ to WA (sort of the same distance as Iowa) with the same $2600 insurance and a delivery confirmation.... and the return trip can be delivered on a Saturday....:)

If your equipment fits in a flat rate box - provided for free - it's an even better deal...

gil A

Last edited:
Shipping

I just had to ship my Dynon D100 EFIS back to Dynon for evaluation / repair. I was quite shocked at what UPS charged me for regular 5 day ground shipping from Iowa to Washington. The box was approximately 12? square and weighed about 4 pounds and they charged me almost $54.00 shipping. The declared value was $2600.00 and they said they had to charge $1.50 per $100.00 for insurance plus another $4.00 for signature (required on anything over $1000.00). The UPS website says they charge $.60 per $100.00 for insurance but their online cost estimator applies $.90 per $100 but the UPS store says the corporate rate is $1.50 per $100. Wow, I?m just recovering from my $75.00 (round trip) UPS shipment of my RV9A nose wheel leg and now this. I?m going to have to get a second job just to pay for my shipping costs.

USPS for anything coming to Canada (10-14days)......UPS has been 'off' my list of shippers for about 16years when a $10 tool cost me $75 after all charges.....they kill us with 'brokerage fees' etc.

Comparison Shopping

I am probably the queen of comparison shopping. I have found Fedex to be less expensive than UPS in the last couple of years. Sign up for a free account, have a credit card on file, and you get 10-15% discount on the posted prices. Beware that it usually takes several days for your credit card to get charged and the credit to show up on their online system.

The other thing I have found that I like better - Fedex has several locations staffed directly by Fedex, and they will scan the pre-paid package so you have a receipt that it was dropped off.

I ran into the same issue with the UPS store and now I take everything to the US Post Office and ship insured. Just as good, if not better service, and a LOT lest $$$!

I go to a generic mom and pop shipping place that's about 1 mile from my house. They are fantastic as they can ship UPS, Fedex, DHL or USPS. I tell the very nice folks working the counter where I want it to go and they tell me what's cheapest. The last few things I've shipped, DHL has been the cheapest.

I use DHL ground for all my bigger packages. Every package I have sent ground has gotten there in 2 days anyway. Had my Hartzell prop sent from Louisiana to Idaho, $52 and was here in two days. There are DHL counters at Office Max stores. Don

I stopped paying for insurance on anything shipped via UPS after an incident at work. We had a $7500 piece of computer equipment shipped back to the manufacturer for repair. The manufacturer actually took pictures of it while it was still on the UPS truck because it was completely destroyed. UPS had run a fork through it. We shipped it back in it's original packaging. UPS claims that the packaging was "insufficient" and they couldn't be held responsible for the damage. Our claim against the insurance was denied. When asked what level of packaging was appropriate to protect against their handlers running a fork through it the claims agent refused to answer.

I know of one fellow who had a claim refused on a prop that the Maule factory shipped via UPS to him in the original Hartzell shipping box. The crate got dropped onto its end resulting in a bent tip - after the blade tip came through the end of the heavily padded box.

I stopped using UPS a couple of years ago when they made me completely unpack a box full of expensive equipment to prove to them that I was following their packing guidelines. Apparently even with such oversite of their packing guidelines their damaged goods insurance doesn't mean squat. Fedex is less expensive and their employees are nicer to work with.

UPS Insurance

Know exactly what you mean. Sent some engine parts UPS insured and they must have run over the box with a truck. Pushed/crushed vac tube through an aluminum valve cover. Gave up fighting for the insurance claim after they "had no record of the initial claim" not once but twice over a 4 month period. Figured that they were just running me in circles. It worked. I gave up and started using FedEx.
Mike H 9A/8A

I shipped my Dynon EFIS back across the country via FedEx for around $20. They asked how much I wanted to insure it for and didn't like it when I told them that it was worth $2200. They opened the box to see how I padded it and couldn't believe that it had a $2200 value. I referred the rep to Dynon's website and they quickly became believers...welcome to the world of avionics...

Skip the insurance, it is a rip off....

I just had the NG leg modified by Lancair ($75) and the shipping was less than $25 each way. Total time for the job - 14 days.

I NEVER buy the insurance simply because it is way over priced. Beside that, UPS has never lost a shipment for me - knock on wood. The price of fuel is up, what is it 30-40% in the past 12 months. That's one reason rates are up and it ain't over yet. :(

I just had to ship my Dynon D100 EFIS back to Dynon for evaluation / repair. I was quite shocked at what UPS charged me for regular 5 day ground shipping from Iowa to Washington.

You got a better deal than me. UPS charged me $85 to ship my Dynon EMS D10 back to Dynon last week for repair.

Unbelievable

Wow Tom. Guess I don't feel so bad now although I could have saved $20.00 going to a UPS Terminal rather than a UPS Store. What are the specifics on your shipment, ground, declared value? Did you remove if from the fuselage before shipping? :eek:

In high school, I worked at the UPS Store, and this is one of the changes that were made when we went to the UPS Store brand, as opposed to being Mail Boxes Etc.

For MBE stores, they are able to choose their own UPS rates. As part of the agreement when the stores become the UPS Store, they have to charge the same rates as the UPS counter. Keep in mind, if you have your own UPS account number, it is slightly cheaper, even for minimal shipment volume.

For insurance, however, the UPS Stores can charge their own rates. Most charge $1.50-$2.00 per $100 over the first $100, which is included. If I remember correctly, they don't insure through UPS directly for packages over $100, rather through a 3rd party insurance provider.

For packaging on expensive items, pay the money to have the UPS Store package it. If UPS won't cover a damaged item that the UPS Store packaged, THE STORE HAS TO. I am a "UPS Certified Packaging Expert" (LOL! Friggin' Weekend Course in high school), but on anything over $1000 (or any amount I don't want to even have to think about eating myself), I pay the $XX for them to package it, and then it's their problem if UPS won't cover the damage.

Mike

I am probably the queen of comparison shopping. I have found Fedex to be less expensive than UPS in the last couple of years. Sign up for a free account, have a credit card on file, and you get 10-15% discount on the posted prices. Beware that it usually takes several days for your credit card to get charged and the credit to show up on their online system.

The other thing I have found that I like better - Fedex has several locations staffed directly by Fedex, and they will scan the pre-paid package so you have a receipt that it was dropped off.
That is my shipping department talking. I can vouch for the ease of shipping when I can point to an airplane part that needs to be shipped and generally describe the destination such that it can be found via google. My stuff always magically gets there. A great service indeed. It even works the other way too. Often I can just provide a vendor the phone number of my shipping department and all is under control ;)
Unfortunately I'm lazy and would pay too much to ship all sorts of airplane parts, however, Tanya lives for finding the best deal.

Ditto for me...

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago with UPS. I shipped two recording mixer consoles, an open reel multi-track recorder and a 2 track mastering recorder to Calif. The receiver rejected the delivery and the entire shipment (3 boxes) came back to me. The mixers and multi-track were destroyed. The had dropped the boxes and they were smashed. Only the 2 track survived. They blamed me that the packaging was inadequate and denied the insurance recovery I paid them for. In one phone call to the insurer he completely man-handled me, wouldn't let me talk during the very brief conversation etc. I lost big time on the deal. I ended up taking the damaged equipment to the dump and chunking it into the dumpster.. about $8,000 worth of stuff.

Canadian Experience

We've used almost all the common carriers for 15 years shipping all over the world. We rarely insure anything now with Fedex as they almost never lose or destroy shipments.

Nightmares with DHL including fraud, not giving us insurance money etc.

UPS- nightmares again when they lose something. Can you say small claims court! Brokerage costs on ground US goods coming to Canada are a killer. Ship by 2 or 3 day air. It is cheaper, faster and safer.

Purolator (Canada) dropped my cylinder heads off a truck onto the concrete and smashed one- $1000 down the drain and got $2/lb. I'll never ship with them again after this one 3 weeks ago.

USPS works pretty well.

But when it absolutely, positively has to get there- Fedex is truly #1. In over 5000 shipments, they have lost only one item and damaged only one more. I got money back for both (after saying you pay me or I take my $40K account next door). Really, they are the best in my experience but all of them make mistakes.

The Warsaw convention limiting carrier liability is a crock and should be abolished. When a carrier takes my goods and they are reasonably packaged, I expect them to be delivered and cared for, not kicked up the stairs like in the Jim Carrey movie. If they bust it, they should own it. It's called taking responsibility.

Why carriers screw customers when they damage or lose stuff is beyond me. Make it right and even the ticked off customers will probably stay with you. Burn them and you'll lose a lot more money than the claim.

I started a special web page on one of these carriers and had people E-mailing me from all over the world telling me their horror stories which I posted there. After about a year and a half, I was contacted and asked if I'd remove the site. I replied I would when they wrote a letter of apology to me and refunded the $2665 they owed me. I got the check the next week. The power of the web my friends.:)

Now, when my 6A kit came from van's by truck, it had two nice holes in the fuselage box from a forklift. While the driver was here, I popped the lid. As Maxwell Smart would say- "missed by that much" About 2 more inches and the trucking company would have owned a QB fuselage. They just stopped short of the firewall.:eek:

The costs are getting up there due to fuel surcharges for sure and we are sending more by post than ever as customers balk at the prices of the other carriers. Don't use the UPS stores shipping to Canada, you pay a big premium.

My company ships a few thousand packages a year, the total value being in the millions. The bulk goes UPS. The heavy weight goes Yellow freight. Nobody has distroyed or lost more packages over the years than FedX Ground, to the point we wont use them unless its shipped on a customers fedX account. With that said, if you do enough volume, all carriers will destroy or loose a package, its the nature of the beast. For us, UPS has handled the lossed/damaged packages the best, IF the package is packaged as they require. Its not a secret, the requirements are on their web pages or available for free in printed form.

I have now learned that there are three seperate entities for FEDEX: Ground, overnight, and freight. At my location, there are three seperate terminals. My prop from Hartzel shipped FedEx Freight, $95, Ohio to South Alabama.

The Real UPS

Take your stuff to a true UPS terminal and it will be way cheaper!

After shipping from our local UPS distribution center (a 15 mile round trip) for years I decided to try the new UPS Store in the neighborhood. Their price for shipping was almost twice what I was used to for a very similar item.:eek:
On my next trip to the REAL UPS distribution center I complained to the girls at the counter and was reprimanded for even going to the UPS Store. They told me that although the UPS Store uses their name and wear a similar uniform they are no good, overcharging, non-union , Mother#@%&*"s and that's what I get for going there.:mad: I stick to the REAL UPS locations now. Those girls are TUFF.;)

I have had an account at the local UPS STORE for the past 15-years. Most of my airplane parts that have not been FREIGHT, have arrived by UPS at my box at The UPS Store.

The local UPS terminal is closer to me then my UPS Store. I have used both to ship outgoing packages. Similar weight packages have cost me the same. The difference was a 25-minute wait at the terminal. At the UPS Store, I drop the package off with a note to who to ship and it is taken care of with the receipt (or bill showing what I owe) going in my box.

I have had more DAMAGED packages arrive by FedEX and USPS than UPS. When needing to return something with a prepaid shipping label from the merchant, I have had much better experiences with UPS than I have with FedEX or USPS.

I have setup ONLINE accounts with UPS, FedEX, and USPS. I like USPS Priority Mail the best for large envelopes and UPS for everything that is not an envelope.

This thread is starting to sound like "The Primer Wars" or the "Nose Wheel" vs "Tailwheel" continuing debate. Looks like being human everyone wants something for nothing. Do all humans think the UNIVERSE is centered on them? Reading this thread, it looks like I am the only person alive that has had nothing but POSITIVE experience with "The UPS Store".

NO FEDEX FOR ME!

Gary,
I'm glad to see someone on "my" side. I've been using UPS for over 30 years shipping aircraft stuff and never had a problem. With FedEx, I receive packages maybe 10% of the time on time. I've had them leave a note saying, "not one here, I'll try again tomorrow." No phone number or "sign and I'll leave" or anything. If you & your wife work and you are not here today, guess what, you probably won't be here tomorrow either.
I got stuck in Los Cruces with a bad mag. Ordered from ACS FedEx overnight. I got it 3 days later. Sure they didn't charge me for shipping, but they wouldn't pay for the hotel or rent car for the time I was stuck.
When I order anything I always specify NO FEDEX!

This thread is starting to sound like "The Primer Wars" or the "Nose Wheel" vs "Tailwheel" continuing debate. Looks like being human everyone wants something for nothing. Do all humans think the UNIVERSE is centered on them? Reading this thread, it looks like I am the only person alive that has had nothing but POSITIVE experience with "The UPS Store".

Yes, I have learned aboslutely NOTHING from this thread. It's just a bunch of opinions! Personally, I've had very satisfactory success with UPS, and even a local UPS store.

I just asked my wife for an opinion regarding UPS, DHL, and Fed-EX; since her company deals with all three on a regular basis. She is more familiar with DHL, but say's that she has no real complaints about any of the three.

Besides; when I was actively purchasing lot's of parts for my RV, the UPS guy always ran it to the garage door for a quick peek at the project, whenever I was around.

L.Adamson

edit for an additional note: My wife's company experience with "all" three, has not been without occasional glitches. But all three have been responsive in getting the glitches solved.

Last edited:
I Learned something!

Yes, I have learned aboslutely NOTHING from this thread. It's just a bunch of opinions! Personally, I've had very satisfactory success with UPS, and even a local UPS store.

The original intend of this thread was to understand why my experience shipping a piece of avionics gear from a UPS Store was so expensive. Especially after being told by UPS the shipping rates from a UPS Store were the same as from a UPS Terminal. As it turns out and is documented in this thread, although the actual shipping rate is the same, the UPS Store charges significantly more for declared value insurance. According to my conversation with UPS Corporate, UPS Terminals currently charge $.90 per $100 where as UPS Stores charge $1.50 per hundred. If you are shipping a piece of insured avionics gear valued at $3000 and have the option to ship from a UPS terminal rather than a UPS Store, you will save about $18.00.

I agree this thread has somewhat turned into an opinion / personal experience rant but for those who didn’t know the UPS Store could be much more expensive to ship from, like myself, I hope this discussion has been helpful.

Last edited:
As it turns out and is documented in this thread, although the actual shipping rate is the same, the UPS Store charges significantly more for declared value insurance. According to my conversation with UPS Corporate, UPS Terminals currently charge $.90 per $100 where as UPS Stores charge $1.50 per hundred. If you are shipping a piece of insured avionics gear valued at $3000 and have the option to ship from a UPS terminal rather than a UPS Store, you will save about $18.00.

However, it's also about distance and time, to get to an actual terminal. My local UPS Store is just a few blocks away, while a terminal would be an extra hour of driving there and back; not to mention probably spending more time in line. I guess it comes down to convenience, fuel, and the worth of time, depending on if it's a work day or not.

L.Adamson

LOL ... UPS did the same thing to me, at my last job we built a $185,000.00 computer for a customer. Insured it for the full amount, double boxed it in wood and shipped over night.

UPS dropped the box so hard it when to the customer in pieces (the box and computer) ... UPS then denied the claim! :eek:

We just laughted so hard, after our lawyer and the customers lawyers got in the game, our company got a check for the full amount plus a little more for our customers loss of business.

needless to say, one of my guys got a round trip plane ride to deliver the next unit in person.

FedEX is now my fav shipper.

Choices and details...

However, it's also about distance and time, to get to an actual terminal. My local UPS Store is just a few blocks away, while a terminal would be an extra hour of driving there and back; not to mention probably spending more time in line. I guess it comes down to convenience, fuel, and the worth of time, depending on if it's a work day or not.

L.Adamson

Exactly, time and distance count.

Since FedEx bought out Kinko's there is usually another local alternative to the UPS Stores.... and the Kinkos locations do not seem to surcharge the price you see on the FedEx web site... which as many others have pointed out, is not the price you see at the UPS web site when insurance is included.

As an added bonus, especially for those working folks were time does count, some Kinkos locations are open 24 hours. No counter service but easy drop off.

Make your own choice....:)

gil A

PS ... just got a small package from AC Spruce, and it's the first time they have used USPS Priority Mail as "Cheapest Shipping".

PPS - Roger, your parts are here....:)

The posts here are mainly experiences, not opinions. As I've used them all to ship thousands of packages for the last 15 years, one thing is clear- they all have their problems and can all drop or lose packages and have.

Fortunately we have many choices in this business.

I suppose what is important is how you are treated when something does go wrong. In my experience DHL and UPS are the worst- in that order and Fedex is better.

Sometimes you have to go to court or take other drastic measures to recover your money. That part is just wrong.

Hey Ross! Must be a Canadian thing.Had a Murphy Rebel slow build kit delivered,via Murphy's preferred carrier,with the lid smashed in,and fork holes through the side.They must hire farmers,used to loading round bales of hay.Darryl Murphy's such a nice guy,I never complained,but,I've got a nice dent in a fuselage skin to always remind me. Regards from Ontario!

Last edited:
This summer, thanks to UPS, I had one bad month.
Needed to send my Blue Mountain Sport back to the factory for some unit checks. BM picked up the shipping cost by giving me their number to use.
When I went to the local UPS store, which I had used before, the owner told me that they did not have the proper forms for an item being shipped with the receiver's number. I was just about ready to go the the UPS drop off place which was a lot farther out of my way, when she said.."if you go up the road aways to a small mall, there's a UPS box there that you can get the proper form out of, then I can ship it for you", which I did. Seeing as UPS had never lost anything, and BM was good enough to pick up the shipping charges, I didn't insure it (close to $8K). Ususally, when I've shipped there, they generate a self adhering form that is put on the package right there. This time the counter lady, took my package, and I asked her how this new form is applied to the box, hoping she would say that they would put it on using wide clear tape. She said the form has it's own adhesive, and she would put it on shortly.
A week later, I called Blue Mountain to see how they were making out with the checking, and the reply was that they didn't have the radio.
Many calls later, and days of checking the shipping status just told me that the package was lost, but it had made it to TN terminal. Weeks later when they did find the box (I really didn't think they would) they delivered it to BM. Talking with the gal at Blue Mountain, she said that there was no shipping label on the package, but they did mange to damage the unit.
BM did do the work that was initally scheduled for, and they did repair the bent knob, and they did send it back with no charge to me...
They said they were filing a complaint against the UPS that shipped it.
I hope there might be some lessons learned here!!
I've been using the USPS since, and have had no problems.

Jack
N99552 -9A

Hey Ross! Must be a Canadian thing.Had a Murphy Rebel slow build kit delivered,via Murphy's preferred carrier,with the lid smashed in,and fork holes through the side.They must hire farmers,used to loading round bales of hay.Darryl Murphy's such a nice guy,I never complained,but,I've got a nice dent in a fuselage skin to always remind me. Regards from Ontario!

Yep, despite $$$$ high dollar value and FRAGILE stenciled all over the crates, some of the handlers just don't read or don't care. As one claims adjuster said to me recently- "it's hard enough to hire a heartbeat these days, let alone someone who cares. I've seen claims triple in the last 3-4 years."

You wonder why they drag their feet paying on insurance claims even? It would probably bankrupt some of them.

Last edited:
I went to a UPS store on february first because I had forgotten to mail a check to my mother in florida that needed to get there immediately. They quoted me SEVENTY DOLLARS to overnight a check.

I hopped in my cherokee and hand-delivered it, same day, for ninety dollars in fuel. (Mogas STC for the win!)

For shipping, I've always preferred USPS Priority. Never have any problems with it, it's the fastest by far, and generally cheapest.

Why I Boycott UPS

Last summer I ordered some parts from B&C. They were shipped via UPS. When the shipment became overdue, I used the tracking number supplied by B&C to check on the package, and discovered that it had been delivered! Since I never got it, I tried to call UPS to make a claim. No matter what I tried, the only thing I could get to on the UPS answering machine was the information that the package had been delivered. I eventually called B&C so that they could make a loss claim.

Several days later, UPS called me to berate me for claiming I never got a package that they had delivered. I could barely control my temper as I assured them that I never got the package. Later I got an e-mail from B&C, with an attached letter from UPS which stated that they had contacted me, AND THAT I HAD ADMITTED THAT I RECEIVED THE PACKAGE!!!

If you are a vendor, and the only shipping option you offer is UPS, then I will use another vendor.

Pat

I'm dumbfounded....

After all these UPS horror stories; I have no idea how I got excellent service with UPS for deliveries from Van's and Aircraft Spruce over the last 12 years. Nothing was ever damaged or lost; and always delivered on time. ??????????????

Not once, in my mind, have I decided to use another carrier because of a problem with UPS ground service.

L.Adamson