RatMan

Well Known Member
UPS has had my proseal for two weeks now, twice rescheduled for delivery before it ever got into town and has been in town since Friday. The last order was rescheduled for delivery because it missed a train!?! I must be missing something, how are you guys getting shipments delivered from Vans?

I can't fault Vans, they had it shipped out in two days.

Rat

RatMan said:
UPS has had my proseal for two weeks now, twice rescheduled for delivery before it ever got into town and has been in town since Friday. The last order was rescheduled for delivery because it missed a train!?! I must be missing something, how are you guys getting shipments delivered from Vans?

I can't fault Vans, they had it shipped out in two days.

Rat

Lol..easy. I have them ship everything fedex ground. USPS can be really fast or really slow depending on their mood, but everything seems to get there in one piece usually. UPS, on the other hand, seems to randomly move packages around the country until it gets to the right house, and my packages typically come pretty beat up.

Fedex just gives me no headaches at all. USPS, believe it or not, is a close second. If they provided tracking numbers for packages, I would say it's almost equivalent to Fedex Ground service for realtively small packages. I wouldn't let UPS deliver a pizza.

Both are good!

I found both pretty good in the Los Angeles Area. I think it depends where you are located. If you are in or close to a big city, then you should have no problems. Fedex normally leaves me a note that I can pick-up a misssed delivery from a near-by wharehouse after 6 PM. Althought, they just droped the Emppenage boxes at my front door.

I ordered my Empennage kit last Monday, one box was at my door Friday and the second appeared Yesterday. I did not specify whom to ship thru, and Van's picked FedEx ground. Pretty good service!

Ansarie.

UPS delivered two of our packages yesterday to our neighbor. Not the first time. Our delivery guy is blind or an idiot or both.

I agree with John, I would not let UPS deliver Pizza. I usa either FedEx or USPS priority mail. USPS delivers quick and the shipping cost are equal or cheaper than FedEx.

Jim
Houston TX
Canopy / Panel wiring

UPS is my very last option. FedEx is a first class operation IMHO. And when ordering from Van's, I usually go with USPS priority because it will get here a whole let quicker than FedEx/UPS ground.

I agree - if you miss a delivery with UPS you're pretty much out of luck in getting your pacakge anytime soon. I went back to the facility 4 times to pick up a $20 memory card for my digital camera... they finally gave up and said "go meet the driver on his route". Could it get any more pathetic than that?

Scott Will said:
UPS is my very last option. FedEx is a first class operation IMHO. And when ordering from Van's, I usually go with USPS priority because it will get here a whole let quicker than FedEx/UPS ground.

I agree - if you miss a delivery with UPS you're pretty much out of luck in getting your pacakge anytime soon. I went back to the facility 4 times to pick up a $20 memory card for my digital camera... they finally gave up and said "go meet the driver on his route". Could it get any more pathetic than that?

Funny....Years and years ago, I ordered an uninteruptable power supply for my computer. Same experience with UPS not being able to pull off a simple delivery. I finally gave up, waited at Mail Boxes Etc. for the driver to make his afternoon pickup, and convinced the driver to let me have my package.

Fedex and USPS screw up on occasion too (they're only human) but I just haven't had much luck with UPS. Others use them all the time and have 0 issues.

Okay, I'll be the lone UPS supporter.

My driver knows me by name, and knows to leave my deliveries hidden in my trash bin area behind the gate. I always get what I ordered when they promised. He even stops to chat about the airplane when he's got time.

f1rocket said:

My driver knows me by name, and knows to leave my deliveries hidden in my trash bin area behind the gate. I always get what I ordered when they promised. He even stops to chat about the airplane when he's got time.

One of the UPS drivers that covers our route is an old friend from grade school and high school. We had him over at our house last year for a Christmas party. Unfortunately, when everyone found out that he drove for UPS, an anti-UPS rant session ensued. We haven't heard from him in a while...

f1rocket said:

I think it might depend on where you live. UPS in New York and New Hampshire was fine. I've only really started having major problems since I moved to California.

Alex said:
Unfortunately, when everyone found out that he drove for UPS, an anti-UPS rant session ensued. We haven't heard from him in a while...
Yikes, geez, I don't blame him. At parties, and so many other places, we're defined by the jobs we have. Imagine what that must've felt like. Man, pick up the phone and call...and apologize on behalf of your guests.

I gather nobody here works for UPS but those people work their a**es off with that company. The pay and benefits are great, but man you just have to hump from the time the day starts to the time it ends are you're not going to make it.

I personally don't have any trouble with UPS. It's just that it's all so expensive. Does USPS still have regular old parcel post? You wouldn't guess so where it always seems to be "priority mail" at ridiculous prices.

I've had no trouble at all with UPS. Use them a lot for shipments from Aircraft Spruce, and always get them within about 3 days. And they even beat that, last week!

L.Adamson

I went by their depot today and asked the lady at the front desk when my shipment would be delivered (handing her the tracking page I printed from their website). She looked at it, asked her boss to look at it, she read it and said "it's out for delivery". No, you reckon? They didn't seem at all concerned.

They said if it didn't get delivered today, it might tomorrow.

No, really I'm not making this stuff up. Ridiculous! Lesson learned.

Went to the airport and built the right wing leading edge. Got home tonight and found Proseal on my doorstep :eek: . From what everyone says, it'll be the last time I'm glad to see Proseal. :rolleyes:

Normally I don't have any problems with UPS either, only with the orders from Vans. Seems UPS from Vans is a bad idea for me at least. I'll try USPS or Fedex next time. Thanks for the suggestions! :D

Rat

This really must depend on how your local shipping offices are run. UPS is awesome for me. I'd ship an organ donation via UPS :p Actually, I rate FedEx "Express" as the best. UPS is great, FedEx "Home" is pretty good, and FedEx "Ground" is the worst. I will never use them.

I would not use UPS to ship turds to an outhouse. I have lived in my current apartment for three years, and FedEx has never missed a delivery, the Post Office has never missed a delivery, and UPS gets it right less than half the time. The worst is that I can walk to the post office, the FedEx office is about a five minute drive, and UPS is a 45 minute drive (one way) to the other side of town. I know this, because twice I have had to make the drive to rescue livestock which would have died had I not gone to get the shipment.

Pat

4kilo said:
apartment.......................livestock....................

Pat

????????????

And building an RV????.......hey, what kind of lifestyle are you living? :D

And Fed Ex Express......isn't that redundant? :p

Actually UPS does me pretty well except for the time I tried to ship a squeezer yoke and they wanted a small fortune for that. I used the USPS instead. UPS gets me my packages from Aircraft Spruce and Chief Aircraft Supply in two days usually.

Last edited:
With UPS tracking, I would find it difficult to believe there's a lot of theft going on.

Anyway, Stein put my order in UPS's hands yesterday afternoon. it arrived at the door this morning. OK, so I only live 11 miles away....

B

Bob Collins said:
With UPS tracking, I would find it difficult to believe there's a lot of theft going on.

I think a lot of the problems in the system have been from packages that didn't get scanned for whatever reason. I think they're making improvements there, but things still get botched occasionally.

I once had a package get redirected to the wrong distribution hub twice, each time spending 3 days on the ground while they scratched their heads. I watched the whole thing via the tracking information. I even called them and said "Hey why's my package been in Waterloo, IN for the last 3 days?"

Another time an overnight letter disappeared from the tracking system after going through Philly. I called the person I was sending it to and found out that it had been delivered. 3 days later I got a call from a UPS rep asking if my package had been delivered.

My friend the UPS driver is fine. He blames management more than anyone. The drivers get sent out without any help in trucks that someone else loaded up with 150 lb packages on the upper shelves of the truck. I can't blame them for dropping a few or leaving them in the bushes now and then.

I have used UPS for as long as I can remember. I've been in business for 27 years and I have had generally good luck. The first time a package of yours is lost will change how you feel about doing business with them. They will blame the problem on every one but themselves and refuse to pay your claim or won't contact you at all. I had a package of plastic resin for my molding machine that they busted open in Little Rock Arkansas. They didn't respond to several calls and when they saw that I was not going to just let it die they scraped the thousands of little plastic beads off the floor and shipped it to me about three weeks later. Of course it was contaminated with rubber from fork lift tires, dirt, broken glass and whatever was on the floor. I am still out $150.00 worth of material and no recourse. If you insure the items for any substantial amount you are really in for a fight to get them to pay a claim. Their personal service is terrible. That said, I have only lost maybe three or four packages with them in all that time. That is a very good record but I still won't use them anymore because of how they handle a problem.
I now use DHL quite a bit and so far have had very good luck but I haven't had a problem yet. One thing DHL does that is really bad is they contract with stores to ship their merchandise to customers at a bargain rate but what the customer doesn't know is that if the delivery is not right on their normal route they have some arrangement with the US Postal service to deliver their packages. That 2 or 3 day delivery can turn into a week or more and you can't track it either when the post office gets their hands on it. When I order anything from someone who uses DHL I make sure that DHL is going to deliver it to my door otherwise I demand it be shipped by FedEx or USPS Priority mail if possible. DHL is getting some real bad press by doing business with the Post Office to relay their packages.
I feel Better Thanks :(

Back when I worked for FEDEX...

We had a saying about UPS (regarding the conditions of packages at delivery and how that occurred);

Do you know what UPS calls a package about "this" big (hold hands about a foot apart or closer)? A wedge! Ha Ha. Yes it is true. UPS tends to use small packages as wedges filling in the gaps in the walls of package car trailers. This helps hold up the bigger heavy packages.

As for proseal being delayed, hmm... that is hazmat, isn't it? I can see how that can happen. There are strict loading requirements on trucks that prohibit some stuff from travelling with other stuff.

I've had great luck with UPS. I belive it must depend on where you live. Up untill recently we had a great UPS driver who was actually a cute blonde gal. She had my cell number and would call me if I wasn't in. Or I could call her to meet her and get my delivery. In fact on time I was waiting for an overnight delivery for a disgruntled customer that was in route to my office. I called my driver only to find she was out sick. She called in to work found out what driver had her route. Called him and he stopped what he was doing to bring the delivery to me right away getting there before my customer did. Friggin great. As you could imagine I was BUMMED when I found out she was given a new route.