Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi. I made the big cut and obtained the windscreen and the canopy. I'm now working on the windscreen (slider RV9A) and watched on a couple of sites that the little "wings" in the aft ends of the upper front skin (where the skin touches the roll bar) are slotted to receive the windscreen. So, the transition between the windscreen and the canopy at that location is very smooth.

Mike Schipper, in his website, says that plans only contain once such detail (the instruction say nothing). I was not able to find such detail in my plans. On the contrary, in DWGs I can see that such skin is not slotted.
Anyone can tell me more?

Thanks.
Camillo

slots

I did not slot my -9A slider forward skin. Nor could I find any reference to slotting the forward skin in my plans/instructions. I read Mike's web site also and wondered WTF is he talking about? My -6 tip-up friend did slot his skin to hold the lower canopy edges closer together.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Yesterday, I looked at plans one more time: it seems (DWG 43, upper left) that windscreen aft edge should be even with the forward skin (i.e.: not overlap). However, in the instructions of slider it is said that the windscreen goes under the canopy. And this is not possible without cutting the skin. Latter, why placing the roll bar edges a few 32'' inside the fuselage profile?

Anyway, I will leave my skin uncut for now...

Slot cut not current recommedation from Vans

I researched this when I cut my windscreen because I saw some with the slot in the skin even though it was not in the plans. I finally called Vans and was told that the "slot" was the old way of doing it. The current recommendation is cut the windscreen even with the top of the skin.

FWIW, my experience is that the plexi seems to have a mind of it's own. What seems to be a perfect fit one day turns to cr*p when you start doing the finally attachment. I think not doing the slot would make it easier to accomodate slight variations that may occur when you go to install it permanently.

Thank-you for your input, Rick. Meanwhile, I received an answer from Van's:
"It's been done both ways. All's fair in canopies, so pick the method that works best with your airplane."

Bye.