Tharpo

Hi Folks:
Bout a third of the way thru the fuse build, and I think I see something that I'm unsure about. Been drilling the two most forward skins, and they seem to be bridging from near the rear of the eng. mt. brackets to the firewall's forward flange.(upper brackets) I could "make them lie down, but I think they would bow inward too much. I don't see a clear view of this area on the plans...was wondering if anybody else ran into this. Also was wondering about shimming behind the skins to level it out some.Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tharpo

Fwd skin at engine mount

I had a similar fit at the location you are questioning. No big deal, as you are transitioning a fairly flat skin, to a multi angled area of the fuselage. The stringer connecting the engine mount to the fuselage curves slightly outboard,causing the "bridging" you see. I used some very small tapered shims to make the transition smoother, and the upper (removable) skin panel flares out very slightly over a 6-8" span. It all blends very well at the cowling,and you will see slight differences on every different-4 you look at. I dont have any digital pics I can send at this time, but send me a PM if you need more help here !

Bill E.
N76WE/RV-4
Advance NC 8A7

Shims

Yep, I needed some shims in that area, too.

Keep in mind the cowl cheeks will install in that area, too. They'll add a bit of stiffness to the skin and cover up about 1/3 of the joint between the side skin and firewall.