Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Anyone know if I will need to order a new spinner if I upgrade from my straight-blade Hartzell to a new blended airfoil? I'm up against the 6-year overhaul on the original Hartzell on my RV-6, so if I have to pull the prop for an overhaul, I might as well upgrade and gain 3 knots in TAS.

Comments from anyone who has done this would be much appreciated!

By the way, anyone interested in a used HC-C2YK-1BF/F666A-4? This was a new OEM prop from Vans and presently has 240 hours TT. I'll be asking $3,000 for it when I get notice of the new prop shipping. It is perfect in every way and is a "B" hub, so no ADs that I am aware of.

I'm up against the 6-year overhaul on the original Hartzell on my RV-6, so if I have to pull the prop for an overhaul...

Pat, I have to question the "have to" in that sentence! I've had at least one A&P who I respect tell me he'd have no hesitation signing a condition inspection with a well cared for, low-hour Hartzell that had gone past 6 years.

Trying to find out what's behind the calendar limit, personally I'm not that impressed with Hartzell's content-free, buzzword-heavy answer to the question, from their FAQ http://www.hartzellprop.com/service_support.php?id=88:

"Why do I have to Overhaul my propeller after 5 or 6 years when it has limited time since last overhaul and the aircraft has been stored in a heated hangar?"

"The overhaul limits published in Service Letter HC-SL-61-61Y protect your safety and investment and maximize the safe operating limits of your propeller."​

So anyway, this doesn't help you with your spinner question, just maybe some input for anyone thinking about buying your used prop.

--Paul

Paul,

Hope my wife doesn't see your response! :)

You know I just needed an excuse--any excuse! Hey, but thanks for the plug for the old prop!

You will need a new front bulkhead, because the holes will very likely not line up.

I am interested in the Prop--I will send you a PM

Anyone know if I will need to order a new spinner if I upgrade from my straight-blade Hartzell to a new blended airfoil? I'm up against the 6-year overhaul on the original Hartzell on my RV-6, so if I have to pull the prop for an overhaul, I might as well upgrade and gain 3 knots in TAS.

Comments from anyone who has done this would be much appreciated!

I did this recently with no significant problems. I think I had to move the spinner backplate by one washer (forget which way), and did some very minor enlargement of the holes on the existing spinner. The front bulkhead holes will likely be misaligned as mentioned earlier, due to different orientation of the mounting holes on the front of the spinner. I was able to fix this by using the existing screw holes in the spinner to drill a new set of holes in the bulkhead. You could also just buy a new front bulkhead from Van's.

Thanks, Alan!

Alan,

Good information, thanks. Did you pick up the advertised 3 kts TAS?

Duplicate Alan's Responses for me

No new Spinner, got the 3 knots. I slotted the holes in the fwd bulkhead and made a doubler disk to clamp it down. I also had to adjust the washer distribution on the read bulkhead to position it forward toward the propeller to regain for&aft alignment with the mounting holes at the rear of the spinner.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Pat,

Another angle: My FSDO (Boston) says this is a "major change", and required me to put my plane back into flight test for 5 hours and get an assigned test area.

Mitch Garner

RV4 flying
RV12 under construction

Thanks, Bob!

I'm thinking about just ordering a new forward bulkhead. Overkill?

I checked on the part and its $23 from Vans, so if doing again I'd probably just start with a new front bulkhead.

I also was told by the FSDO that this is a major change and got 5 hrs back in Phase I.

I would too

I never knew exactly what fit problems would come up going into this change but a new fwd bulkhead is not a bad idea at all. May still do it some day to get rid of the work around.

Bob Axsom

So, to summarize: if you're going to upgrade to a new Hartzell BA, get a new forward spinner bulkhead from Vans for $23, and plan on going back into Phase I for about 5 hours in an assigned test area.

Advantages: you will get a new prop and another 6-years before recommended overhaul, and you should gain about 3 kts in TAS. Most of your previous RPM restrictions will be gone. Prop weights are about the same.

Let's go for it!