prkaye

Well Known Member
Thinking medium-term here, I'd eventually like to replace my D-180 with a Skyview System. My question is, will I be able to plug my existing wiring harness directly into the Skyview, or is there some kind of adapter? Or will I have to cut the wiring harness apart and re-wire everything?

For what it is worth, my RV12 was completely wired for a D180, I then wanted a Skyview, and Vans provided a complete "conversion harness" to make it a plug and play upgrade.

Phil,
Engine wiring will stay exactly the same and is plug-and-play.

The main harness is a bit different. Given that SkyView has a lot of features that the D180 did not have (like a GPS), it's not possible to make a direct harness from a D180 input to the SkyView. We do sell the SkyView with a pre-made harness for every screen, to make the wiring as easy as possible.

So I guess the easiest approach would be to cut off the D-180 harness close to the connector, and then directly splice the wires with those on a pre-made Skyview harness.

Rent Skyview upgrade experience

Phil,

I recently upgraded from the D-180 to Skyview. I didn't purchase any premade Skyview harnesses. If you have enough slack in your exisiting D-180 cables to reach the new Skyview display and EMS module location. Then you don't have to change the EMS probe harness at all. If I recall correctly you do need to run an additional wire in the other EMS harness. My main EFIS harness was easy to modify and I had to add additional power and ground wires to the harness.

The wiring changes are rather straight forward. The most amount of work was locating the ADAHRS module, re-routing the pitot/static/AOA lines, and cutting a new instrument panel. I also installed the Dynon Transponder and ADS-B receiver.

It took me about 3-4 weeks of part-time work to get it all done.

Sold my D-180/GTX327 while they still retained some residuel value. The upgrade was well worth the investment.

converting D-180 to Skyview

I'd design the new harness first, this will reveal the few existing wires that can be reused hooking up the Skyview. After which you can remove what is not re-useable, or just remove the D-180 harness intact for better resale value. Note most but not all Skyview components are hooked up using a 'network' cabling harnesses, including A/P servos, so you will have limited reusable to components other than engine sensor harness.
Also you could possible reuse wiring to A/P servos( to save airframe surgery) & build into network cabling but note that connector at servo is color coded & pinned out differently!
Good Luck

If you have the capacitance fuel senders, you will have to change two pins on the EMS plug.

You will need to run additional wires to the autopilot servos, but that should be the biggest part of it.

Starting on post #204 of this this thread I detail my change.

I used multiple Dynon DB9 hubs to make the wiring much easier! I also ordered network cables from Dynon. Once everything was mounted, it took me 45 minutes to plug it all together and power it up.securing the wires took a bit more time. (Everywhere you see a zip-tie pad, the sticky backs were removed and they were glued in place with Goop Automotive Trim Adhesive.)

Probably the biggest two items was riveting in a shelf for the dual ADRS and drilling up the floor to run the pitot and AoA lines into the tail.

Good luck! You will LOVE the SkyView!

Oh, and get their expansion modules, they are worth every dime!

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
This is not an immediate future thing, but starting to plan for future IFR capability. A local -9A driver just got his IFR ticket and it kind of inspired to start thinking about it again. First thing is to upgrade my Catto prop to the newer ones with the nickel edges so it can handle rain.
Still thinking through options. I still have to research what I need for redundancy, but I'm thinking a 10" skyview display with my steam airspeed, alt, turn and bank, and compass as backup. This doesn't give me a backup attitude indicator though, but not sure if that is req'd (research required). For navigation, I thought a garmin GNS 430W NAV/COM/GPS. For navigation backup, I thought the internal Skyview GPS might be suitable (in Canada, does the redundant navigation system have to be in a physically seperate product, and/or does it have to be an IFR certified product? Research requried).
Thoughts?
But in total, we're already up around the 20,000 dollar mark, which is not an option for a few years :( I've also thought abut trying to figure out the most inexpensive route to equip for IFR in the nearer-term, but I'm not sure how low I could get that figure.

Keep it simple!

For redundancy, I would recommend either a Dynon D1 or D2 PocketPanel and a hand held GPS. Wire both into the electrical system so they are charged when you need them.

Add Velcro to the top of the PocketPanel so you can stick it under the glare shield, if needed. It is light, easy to install, lasts four hours, and will keep you upright. Between that and a good aviation handheld GPS you can keep things upright without the complexity and weight of two batteries, alternators, ebus, etc.

Good advice. I still need, at least, a NAV radio and instrumentation (CDI etc) for doing instrument approaches. Not sure if a backup COM radio is required too.

There are no radio procedures, although having a radio would be nice. A handheld works up close but you don't want to be fiddling with connecting it to your external antenna or headset while in a high stress situation.

The handheld GPS will be your nav source and display. While not legal for IFR, it will help you get on the ground, should your primary nav radio go out and that is all you care about.