skyyking

Has anyone out there upgraded the Van's offerings with the wheel and/or brake assemblies? Or did you just go with what came in the Finish Kit?

Groves

I dropped the Clevelands and went with Grove 56-1A. Two years ago the cost difference was about +$100. Well worth it IMO.

http://www.groveaircraft.com/wbproducts.html

You can play with the kinetic energy calculator on the site and compare your requirements with the ~115Kft-lb of the standard units vs the 205Kft-lb of the 56-1A.

A couple of guys I know switched and report much better braking and controls with none of the heat related issues.

The 56-1M are magnesium wheels and about a pound lighter.

Check it out and don't forget to put the springs on the master cyls while you're at it.

My .02 worth.

I went with the Grove wheels, brakes and master cylinders. I also used Flight Custom III's on the mains. I put the "long bolts" (I think they were #60's) in instead of the 2 shorts bolts to attach the brake pedals to the rudder weldments. No need for extra springs on the masters.

I built mine per the plans, including the short bolts on the brake pedals, no springs, etc. and haven't had a problem.

Then again, being a tail dragger I don't use the brakes to steer.