Rick_A

Well Known Member
When I built my plane I planned for Dual Lightspeed Ignitions. The plan was to run with a single EI & mag for about 500 hours and then go dual Lightspeeds.

I'm now at 475 hours and completed the switch over yesterday. I did my first flight today and was surprised at the noticible difference. The engine ran smoother and I was able to lean to about 1 gph less with the engine still running smoothly. I wish I had made the switch over sooner.

It didn't take too long to make the change because I had all the wires for the 2nd Lightspeed system in place. The biggest job was figuring out exactly were to mount the coils and running the new plug wires.

I had to order custom plug wires to get the lengths that I needed. My brother, Walt, suggested that I check out Magnecor wires, which I did. I got their KV85 racing wires and went ahead and replaced the top plug wires while I was at it. Very high quality wires and connectors. I got a positive "click" when the wires were fully seated. I never got this on the stock wires from LSE.

So I'm a happy guy. I love it when a plan actually works as designed.

Question?

Rick,
I might do the same since my Slick is affected by an AD at 250 hrs.
Did you install the Hall effect module in the mag hole for the second ignition or use crankshaft magnetic pick ups?

Crank sensor

Ernst, I have the crank (fly wheel) sensor. When I bought my engine I got it with the dual pick-up installed, even though I knew it would be a few years before I'd make the change to dual EI's.

I did the same with P-Mags. I got most of my fuel savings when I switched the first one, but the second gave me more performance, smoothness, and power.

If you are thinking of going the P-Mag route, now is the time. Your purchase from now through the middle of August supports Eagle's Nest.

Bob