[email protected]

Well Known Member
Well I had the ADS-B compliance check done, and the results I got back said I did not meet the latest standards. So I check my software versions when I got to the airport this weekend, and it looks like I need to update My GTN 650 and GTX23 ES. So much for having a new plane.

Current Software versions I have:
G3X 8.60

GTX 23 ES 6.2

GTN 650 2.0
GPS 4.0
Com 2.01
Nav 6.01

GDL 93 3.01

I though that the transponder was supposed to update from the G3X? Also on Garmins website it shows "No software updates" for the 23ES. Anyone know how to update it?

I believe you have to go to a Garmin dealer to update the 650 is that correct?

Will/Does Garmin do avionics software updates at Oshkosh? I could easily pull them out and bring them to the booth. (Or Stein)

Since both boxes are certified, you must send them to a Garmin authorized dealer/installer/repair station. They do not allow end user updates to certified gear.

The G3X does not update the xponder firmware.

It depends on the type of update it is on whether or not it is covered under warranty but for a simple non warranty firmware update, Stein will take care of you for a very reasonable price and turn them around fast.

At Osh I have seen the Garmin guys updating portables but not certified panel mounted gear.

Thanks

That is sort of what I figured. Hoping otherwise since it is all new equipment.

Anyone know if any of the avionics vendors will do an update to the firmware at OSH?

Bill,

You may want to give your avionics vendor a call and see if they will be OSH. The upgrade is pretty simple to perform, they just need to bring the SD card with the update on it. I know a couple that would probably be willing if you bought the unit from them.

Then it depends on your relationship with avionics vendor on what the cost will be. I've had two updates done to my GTN650. The first was done by a local Garmin dealer. Fortunately, those updates were covered by warranty. The second set was when I had to send the unit back to Garmin for a non-warranty hardware repair.

If you look at the software update notices on Garmin's site, they will tell you if Garmin thinks the update is covered under warranty. If it is, Garmin will reimburse their dealer for the labor to install the upgrade. If not, it's time to negotiate on the fees you'll pay the Garmin dealer's tech to watch your GTN650 boot and install the upgrade.

The awkward part was that Garmin requires them to perform a post update validation that the unit is working to specifications. For us experimentals, that can be troublesome. For example, my local dealer is located at a Class C airport. I was in Phase I at the time and was prohibited from flying into the airport. I had to drive the unit to the dealer, which created a situation in which they couldn't perform the post update checks. Fortunately, I had a relationship with the dealer and he trusted that I would perform them when the unit was returned to service.

bob