jetjok

Well Known Member
OK...I have not been the best about keeping my 496 updated. With all the threads on safety of late, I realized that this is something that I should do. Of course, there is always a "not so fast".
It seems to me that all Garmin's updates are built for Windows, and I run Macs. Not a problem (I thought) as I have Window XP running on VM Ware Fusion. But no matter what I have tried, it will not recognize the GPS as a USB drive.
Anyone else updating using a Mac?
Thanks!

This is one of those areas where you might want to simply bite the bullet and borrow a friend's PC.

Using I.E. (which I detest; prefer FireFox most days) you will find it simple to install the software and perform the update. I believe I got it to work on FireFox too, but I'm sure it was trickier.

You could probably do it at work if you are a working stiff - I don't think Garmin's site is blocked by most employers.

Garmin Web Updater

I update my 496 on a MACBook all the time. You have to download the Garmin Webupdater first but its on Garmin's website. Device plugs into the USB port.

Pete

Mac no problem

I have done many data updates on my 396 and 496 from Macs and it is no problem. I guess I use the method that Pete talks about, I can't remember. The only hassle as far as I'm concerned is the need to go through the whole purchase process individually for each database.

dito on the imac update. no problems. seems garmin is saying latest software 4.40 is needed for wx to work at this time.

I update my 496 on a MACBook all the time. You have to download the Garmin Webupdater first but its on Garmin's website. Device plugs into the USB port.

Pete

Pete, Larry and Ed,
Thanks for weighing in on this. Pete brought the light bulb on, and I have now D/L'd both plug ins and the database update.
Wow! Garmin is definitely proud of those updates at $49.95 ea. I am not sure if a guy could afford to keep them all current at that price, or the $495 for a years subscription.
Thanks again.