NavyIBNFE

Hello again RVers,

I had the opportunity to speak with a guy who is selling his 1989 built RV-4.

Some of the info I have thus far-
He is 3rd owner, Builder rebuilt the O-320 and replaced a couple cylinders in early 00's - 1675 since rebuild. (sounds high?)
Paint is in a 23 year old state, I can add some photos tomorrow.
Panel is outdated, but functional.
He says the -4 is a great flying airplane and doesnt feel old at all, just looks old. He flies regularly and it is kept in KS.
There was a period when he haad to leave it outside, about 3 years I think. Which would explain the paint.

The good thing is, he is trying to sell for $29k. Knowing that most people would stay away from a project.
Well, I am interested in having this airplane inspected, if it looks safe and is trouble free than it seems to be an excellent deal. Seller says there is no corrosion, everything is zinc chromated.
I have a few ideas for panel upgrades, (Dynon D10 etc, a few thousand $$ plus probes) I have family who do interior work, so that should be easy to customize, fairly inexpensive.
I would strip the airplane down, reinforce fiberglass areas, sand, prime, and repaint to my liking. (I have heard a good paint job is $6000-$8000).
From here I can fly happily and save my pennies to do other upgrades as time goes on.
He says the engine is "bulletproof" I understand O-320s to be good, but theres a few rotten tomatoes out there.
I would most likely have the engine overhauled within a few years.
All in all I think it may be possible to finish this project and still come out ahead of the other $42-$48k RV-4s for sale.? :rolleyes:

As always, any input is carefully considered.

Last edited:
Restore

Sounds like a project if you like working on airplanes like i do no problem and you can fix it just like you want it but i dont think in the end you will get out for less money.

6 Gun,
I think you may be right.
I am still considering many options in the RV world, including building, however, when I do build- I am thinking Id like to make it mine from the ground up.
Best to spend money and fly happily now, that money will still be a good investment.

Spend your $50K all at once.......... fly away and be happy.

A friend sold his 4 for $45K with 200 hours on a Lyocn rebuild 360 and a new c/s prop. This airplane was one of the finest built around. It went to Canada.

Good Luck