alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Given that a lot of new technology has come on the market since the original DIY headset threads started in about 2007, I thought I'd start a new one to try to get a feel for what earbud-type headphones seem to be working well. I'd like to get started building a set myself.

The Shure E2C's that showed up in the first few threads seem to currently cost $150+ (Amazon); the Comply NR-10 about $60-75. These seem to be the most commonly referenced. Now there seem to be a bunch of earbuds that described themselves as "noise cancelling" or "noise-isolating" at lower prices, but I'd rather start with something that has a good track record.

What have you used that has worked well and, more importantly, stood the test of time?

For those who haven't followed them, here are some of the old 2007 threads:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20917&highlight=diy+headset
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20289&highlight=diy+headset

Last edited:
Love them

Mine is a solution provided by the military, but I love them.
BTW, not trying to advertise so kill this if I am violating anything

Helmet with ear cups for standard sound iso.
CEP's (www.cep-usa.com) for in ear sound.
Mic on helmet.

I have met the CEP guys, small USA company, hand made in AL. About $100 for the set and it comes with the connection components, so you could add them to just about whatever set up you come up with. Might be a bit cheaper with good sound than what you are looking at. We use disposable foamy tips (good for about a month for me flying about 4 hours a day). You can get custom ear molds made for them also for a bit more $.

The sound iso is great with the in-ear PLUS ear cups...but I think you are going for smaller/lighter. I think you could try these ear parts for about $100 and the cords just hang out of ruer ears. Then you just come up with whatever mic you were already thinking about...or just go old school and use a hand mic!

The double deadening these provide in helicopters is so good, its bad. We can't afford to provide them to each new student, so all instructors have them and students don't...radios are either deafening for me or too quiet for them?!?!