JoeG

Well Known Member
For some of you this will not be important, for others it could be very important...

Years ago when I recieved my pilot's license, the standard practice of the FAA was to use an individual's Social Security Number as the pilot certificate number. This has obvious drawbacks in today's identity theft environment. But now there is good news. The FAA will replace your old certificate for no charge, and issue you a new certificate number. All you have to do is log on to the FAA website, register, and order the new certificate.

In adddition to changing the number, you get a nice credit card style license to replace the old worn-out paper certificate of old.

It only took 9 days from the time I requested the new certificate until it showed up in my mailbox. An exhibition of efficiency rarely seen in government organizations.

Here's the link if you are interested in this...

http://faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/

I did this a few months ago and was also impressed on how quick they arrived.

New Certificate W/O SS #

Thanks Joe for a very helpful post. Just did mine here on Sunday afternoon sitting in my bathing suit at my computer. Said I'd have it in two weeks. This new efficient FAA must be for real. A very refreshing experience.

Also, for what it's worth, if you ever decide to get an additional rating, higher license, etc., make sure your CFI puts 'DO NOT USE' in the Social Security box on your FAA 8710 form. Your SS# is not actually required on the 8710.

Just another way to help yourself out :)

JoeG said:
For some of you this will not be important, for others it could be very important...

Years ago when I recieved my pilot's license, the standard practice of the FAA was to use an individual's Social Security Number as the pilot certificate number. This has obvious drawbacks in today's identity theft environment. But now there is good news. The FAA will replace your old certificate for no charge, and issue you a new certificate number. All you have to do is log on to the FAA website, register, and order the new certificate.

In adddition to changing the number, you get a nice credit card style license to replace the old worn-out paper certificate of old.

It only took 9 days from the time I requested the new certificate until it showed up in my mailbox. An exhibition of efficiency rarely seen in government organizations.

Here's the link if you are interested in this...

http://faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/
Yes, it is an upgrade from the old paper license. Your Original Date of Issue will also change when you upgrade and you get what looks to be a nice tracking devise in the bottom right hand corner. . . ? Last I looked on the FAA site it reflected a change of issue date on your FAA record too.

Just FYI... Probably no harm done. . . . ???

Another point: If you just want to get the plastic card to replace the paper one, the FAA normally charges for this. However if you do it at the FAA booth at Oshkosh, it will probably be free, at least it was last year.