rjcthree

Well Known Member
I'll admit it. I'm looking to save a few bucks to try to keep my project on track for first flight spring 2010. I need to buy a prop soon. Engine is about ready to hang.

It looks like a Catto 2 blade + extension = Sensenich metal + extension. The Prince P-tip is between a $300 and $900 premium, based on web pricing.

Tell me if my thoughts are about right:

Catto: light(also a con), efficient, smooth, likely faster. May require regular maint/touch ups/refinish.
Prince: = Catto. Way cool CF factor. More $$$
Sensenich: Heavy(again, pro and con), robust, proven, limited to 2600rpm, likely slower. Bulletproof, but unforgiving.

Heavy is a good thing-maybe. My elt and strobe ps are behind the baggage wall. Otherwise, it's a plain jane RV-9A with Grove mag wheels, and an oddessy battery, a FP O-320. Heavy prop=light batt+light nose gear+aft PS and ELT. There should be no aft CG concerns with the alum prop.

A big part of me wants to buy what Van sells. It works, no flash. On the other hand, Van's has enough of my money, I should spread it around a bit.

The problem: there isn't a wrong decision here.

Does that about sum up the decision factors, or am I missing anything?

Anybody got one they want to part with to make it easy? ;)

Rick 90432

One other thing to consider is what it's going to cost you (time-wise) if you have maintenance issues with a Catto. I don't know what Crag's turn-around times are on repairs, but it's certainly something to consider and can't be neglected in the decision making process. You also have the single source problem (i.e. what happens if Craig shutters his company?). Unlikely, but I used to think the same thing about Superior air parts.

You can take the Sensi prop to just about any prop shop and they'll be able to work on it for you.

For what it's worth, I don't buy the smoothness argument about the Catto. Are they smooth? Yes. I have flown behind two RVs with those props. They are certainly nice props, but my Hartzell is pretty much neck and neck with it in terms of smoothness at cruise. Same thing can be said for the 3-blade MT which I have flown on my plane. It was smooth...but not $10K+ worth a smoothness in my opinion.

On the other hand, the Catto sure is pretty.

Sensi

is not going to slow you down. If you search the archives, you will find much information, and posted numbers you can use to select your prop. All in all, when you reduce it down to a common denominator, there doesn't seem to be much difference in speed amongst all of the fixed pitch offerings. They are all within a few knots of each other. I have a Sensenich on my 9A, and it pretty much flies at the published numbers. I also own a Catto for my current project, (9), and am anxious to give it a try. If it comes out 2 or 3 knots slower than the next guy's plane, believe me, I won't spend a dollar to upgrade. As far as smoothness goes, the wood or composite props seem smoother to me. I like the weight savings the composite prop affords. (watch that aft CG) I like the prop strike safety factor as well, cuz I am a low time in a taildragger pilot. But all being said, I am very happy with the metal Sensenich on my 9A. Smooth, well proven, Certified, and maintenance free for the most part. Fly it in the rain. There is a lot to be said for proven reliability. The 2600 limit doesn't really seem to be an issue for me, as I cruise at a reduced power setting almost all of the time.

Just my rambling thoughts to further confuse you!!

Regards,
Chris

Sensenich

Vans recommended Sensenich prop has a 79 inch pitch. With the gear leg fairings installed and with the engine turning 2400 rpm (8500 msl and 21 inches), you'll make factory cruise speed, if not better. I was making 205 mph ground speed (178 IAS) heading down to Lake Havasu last Saturday. Very good for a 9A.

Steve

Me too

Those numbers are the same as my 9A. Seems that the metal props we are using give very predictable numbers. If you read the posts from those who have used wooden or composite props, the numbers vary a bit. I wonder if it is harder to build these props as consistently as the metal Sensenich.

Just a thought....
Chris

Those numbers are the same as my 9A. Seems that the metal props we are using give very predictable numbers. If you read the posts from those who have used wooden or composite props, the numbers vary a bit. I wonder if it is harder to build these props as consistently as the metal Sensenich.

Just a thought....
Chris
Maybe but it is more likely differences in instrumentation error, leaning, and pilot technique.

Includes what?

Gary, thanks.

Interesting, for the savings, for sure. The question I can't answer is if the prop is 'complete' - the Vans/Sensi package is prop, bolts and spacer for $2100.

If the Rondure package is $200 less, I'm in. If it's just a prop, no spacer or bolts - not a good deal. Call me cheap if you want, but the $200 buys me 2.5 hrs of rental time!

I'll edit this after I call.

Rick

Gary, thanks.

Interesting, for the savings, for sure. The question I can't answer is if the prop is 'complete' - the Vans/Sensi package is prop, bolts and spacer for $2100.

If the Rondure package is $200 less, I'm in.

I bought from Rondure (about 3 years ago), and package was complete, direct drop/shipped from Sensi. Prop, spacer, bolts. Stan Shannon is a really nice person to deal with as well.

Rick
You should list the engine/ airframe combibation you are shopping for. A lot of us f/p guys have more than one prop. I have two, one my race prop and the other my cruise prop. I've found that I don't use the cruise prop anymore, I just throttle back and go a few miles an hour slower on the x/c stuff. Maybe one of us will have the proper prop for you at a used price. IMHO once the wow factor runs out you will not be happy with a Prince prop.
Tom

Last edited:
Thx everybody

I pulled the trigger on a metal Sensenich, new, from Stan Shannon at Rondure/Kitplaneparts.com. He's a 30 year Sensenich dealer. $1932 + $40 shipping. Vans, for the same, is $2100 + $40 shipping. Either way, it's complete with spacer and bolts, and drop shipped from Sensenich in PA.

I had been shopping and posting WTB ads here for the past six months, came close, but no joy. At this point I need to buy a prop to keep moving.

Thanks everybody!

Rick 90432.

Last edited:
I like the Catto for it's weight. But consider this: I just found a prop governor for $50 that should work with a little tweaking, and I know you can regularly pick up old-hub Hartzell 7666's for $1500... I think I'm planning on CS prop for now. Keep an eye out for deals, they are out there!