pauldan181

Well Known Member
I installed a GRT HXr system along with a Trig TT22 Mode S remote transponder back in April and that all works great. I received a Freeflight Xplorer ADSB receiver a couple of weeks ago and finally got some free time this weekend to install it and try it out.

The installation manual has you to call Freeflight to get a code to activate TIS-B which is turned off when the unit is shipped. Then you have to build a little serial harness and connect the unit to a laptop with a terminal program to input the unlock code. OK, no problem. ( I have the RS-232 Xplorer).

The guy at Freeflight takes my information and says he will E-mail me the code in a few minutes. I ask "why don't you just tell me now?". He has to run it by somebody else and this is where is starts going south. They are having some heartburn with my non certified WAAS GPS (the GRT unit) and they sre going to have some more meetings about it. I thought that certified GPS wasn't required until 2020?

Now it's a long weekend and I won't be able to do anything else until Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. I can't be the only guy with an Xplorer and a non Garmin GPS.