wingtime

Well Known Member
I was working on my center section last night clecoing on the forward seat pans or skins. I noticed a rectangular hole about 1" x 2" a few inches aft of the control stick opening. This hole is NOT depicted on my drawings. What is this for? Some sort of a crotch strap or something? :rolleyes:

wingtime said:
I noticed a rectangular hole about 1" x 2" a few inches aft of the control stick opening. This hole is NOT depicted on my drawings. What is this for?

It is for the catheter - see drawing 81.

;)

Do it now? or later?

Ok I found the 5-pt crotch strap kit in Van's online catalog. I assume by Dans input it would be wise to put it in now even if I'm not planning a 5-point harness at this time. That way if I decide I want one in the future it would be ready to go. Is this correct or is this something that can be added to a completed rv?

wingtime said:
Ok I found the 5-pt crotch strap kit in Van's online catalog. I assume by Dans input it would be wise to put it in now even if I'm not planning a 5-point harness at this time. That way if I decide I want one in the future it would be ready to go. Is this correct or is this something that can be added to a completed rv?

I'd say put it in. In fact, I like having a crotch strap even for non aerobatic flight. In the event of a crash it prevents submarining under the strap or even ending up in the back like someone reported on the matronics list a few years ago.

I suggest installing the crotch strap kit in the center section before mating it with the aft section. It's much easier to do before the side skins are in the way.