Lando143

I'm New Here
Hello All,

I was doing a mag check on an RV-6 fitted with an 0-320-b2b. Right ignition is a Unison Lasar Electronic Ignition. Left is a Slick magneto. I saw a normal 100rpm drop on the Slick mag and a drop to 0rpm when the Unison was checked. Is this normal?

Thanks guys,

Hank

Hello All,

I was doing a mag check on an RV-6 fitted with an 0-320-b2b. Right ignition is a Unison Lasar Electronic Ignition. Left is a Slick magneto. I saw a normal 100rpm drop on the Slick mag and a drop to 0rpm when the Unison was checked. Is this normal?

Thanks guys,

Hank

I also have a O-320 B2B with Lasar Ignition.

I do not understand. The Lasar is a SYSTEM with a control box and TWO Lasar mags (they look like Slick mags with a multi-pin connector cable coming out). How do you have one Lasar ingition and one Slick mag?

Depending on how your tach is wired, the controller box has a wire with RPM output. IF you turn off power to the controller box, the RPM signal goes away and there is a ZERO RPM indication. If wired per Unison recommendation, you have an Alarm light on when ever one of the Lasar Mags goes to its backup mode or you lose power to the controller. If you have a Lasar igniton, you have two Lasar mags that look just like Slick mags. How is your system wired? That may explain the loss of RPM on one side.

Thanks Gary. I'll have to take a harder look at the wiring. The left mag is definitely a Slick, so maybe this is some oddball install. Thanks for your help.

Hank

Thanks Gary. I'll have to take a harder look at the wiring. The left mag is definitely a Slick, so maybe this is some oddball install. Thanks for your help.

Hank

Like Gary already said, the LASAR electronic ignition system uses two slick mags. They are special built mags with a wire harness connector coming out of them.
At first glance it will look like a normal mag. installation. It is nothing like all of the other electronic ignition systems in wide spread use

Hank,

Did you mean a drop "TO" 0 rpm, or a drop "OF" 0 rpm? If you got no drop at all while checking the right(Unison) mag, that would indicate that the left mag was not grounding and dropping out as it should. If you meant that it dropped "TO" zero rpm (engine still running I presume) then I can't help you...I know nothing about laser ignition or electronic tachs on airplanes. Good luck.

Brad

I have Lasar and both Mags are slick, it operates like RVbuilder2002 says, when you do a mag check, the annuciator light comes on for 20 seconds and goes out after the check. Never heard of just one mag on lasar and yes mine will start on regular mags with the Lasar off.

electronic tachometer?

If you have an electronic tach, depending on how the LASAR was hooked up, it could read zero when you switch off the mag whose signal is driving the tach.

LASAR's come in two flavors, regular and "bush". Only the bush-equipped kit has an impulse coupling, and the regular setup will NOT start with either low battery or LASAR power off. The regular setup also will NOT start if the cranking current drops the line voltage, even a spike, below about 8V (ask me how I know this). Bush kits use different magneto types/numbers from regular. The conversion is hideously expensive.

G.